Cooant a bit low, water or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on a trip and need to get another 12 hrs. or driving in. I just had the 02 Grand Caravan in before I left and they said it would be fine for the trip but the coolant is a bit low, slow leak, they pressure tested and couldn't find anything. He did say the water pump needs to be replaced soon, which is under warranty. Has been slow to leak, but haven't seen a drop in over a month.

1. Could I just add water?
2. When I get back, should I change the fluid, despite dealer recommendations of...should be ok for five years?

Thanks.

Hi,

How low are you? If it's a cup or such, I'd just add water. More than that... Get some premix and add that.

When you get back, I would change the Waterpump! If there is something wrong, you don't want to overheat any engine.

Then change the antifreeze every 2-3 years or 30-50k miles.

Take care and drive safe. Bill

Just below min on the reservoir? I would just change the AF when you change the water pump which I assume would be ASAP before the warranty ran out.

Anytime a cooling system component is replaced, the coolant must be replaced to maintain warranty of the new part. This is often specified by the manufacturer of the replacement part.

I know it's probably too late now but I'll mention this for others. Don't add pure antifreeze/water unless you have a freeze-point tester. My brother would add a touch of water here and a touch there and after a while he totally lost track of what was in the system. During the winter his antifreeze froze up and cracked his heater core.

Also, you can't test the freeze point after adding water or coolant. You have to drive around for a day to get the stuff mixed in with the rest of the coolant.

Steve

Stands to reason that the replacement part manufacturer would want to protect himself from a spurious warranty claim against who-knows-what's in the old coolant circulating through his new part's innards.

Since you pretty well know the water pump is questionable, carry the leftover premix and/or a gallon (or more) of distilled water with you. You never know when the pump or seals may increase the leakage rate. The gallon+ of distilled water or premix antifreeze may get you to a garage without a tow if your problem does increase.

Thanks, got home ok, didn't seem to lose any fluid.

So when the water pump is replaced, will they have to change and or add fluid? I was thinking it was about time to replace it so would that take care of it?

toping with water in such a TEMPORARY situation won't hurt a thing.

benjamming nailed it - perfect time to really clean the system out and put ALL fresh mixed coolant in...I'm a little nutso about this sort of thing - I will run it a day or so (summer) with pure water as flush then drain that, flush and fill with distilled H2O/coolant mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back