Converted Dexron 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share this story.

I recently bought a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. The Carfax didn't show any service to the transmission so I was anxious to get that done. The car is fine but coming off the line from a full stop, the transmission would delay for a little bit and then snap into gear. I shopped around but most quick lube type places don't drop the pan and change the filter, they just want to do fluid exchanges. Speedee was the only place that would do it unless I went to a transmission shop. So I went to Speedee.

I told the manager I wanted to drop the pan and change the filter and refill with Dexron 6. He gave me the option of Havoline Dex 6 (full synthetic) or their other Dex 6. Since the "regular" Dex 6 was $50 cheaper, I went with that. I saw while they dropped the pan and changed the filter, but when it came time to refill the transmission, the manager got their Chevron Dex III/Mercon ATF. I went up to him and told him I wanted Dex6. He said,"Oh this is a converted Dex6." I was confused, but I let him continue. He then mixed T3™ TOTAL TRANS TREATMENT™ with the Chevron Dex III/Mercon ATF. Got my car and drove away, but still confused and not quite convinced about what happened.

Over the weekend, I drove the car and everything seemed fine. The shifting was improving, but I was not comfortable with the Dex III Heartland T3 mix. I searched the internet for Heartland T3 application sheet ( qmi-heartland application sheet ). It doesn't mention converting Dex III to Dex 6. Besides, I wanted real Dex 6, not additives.

On Monday, I contacted Heartland and asked if Dex III with Heartland T3 was OK for a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. Heartland called and said that they do not endorse that for my car and that SpeeDee should not be doing that. They recommended QMI Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF – 6002.

I then called Speedee and told them that Heartland does not endorse their practice of mixing Dexron III with T3 for my car. They told me that they would changed it out for Havoline Dex 6 but I would have to pay for the fluid price difference. No big deal, so now I have Dex 6 in my car.

Speedee does this as a standard practice. Just putting it out there in case anyone has a similar experience.

Last edited:
How many miles on your 2005 Pontiac Gran Prix?

What happened to the option of " their other Dex 6"?

Good information about Speedee. Just like numerous franchise quick lubes. It's all about upselling or selling products not meant for a vehicle at their value price.

So glad to be able to service my own vehicles and save on labor so I can buy what I want the vehicles to have.

I can tell you from experience that T3 can supposedly convert Dex/Merc to just about anything but Dex VI. Why Heartland feels that way I'm not sure but it's their product and their guarantee.

With that being said, doesn't an '05 Pontiac spec Dex III anyway? If so, I would've just left the original fluid they added with the T3 in there.

Quote:
I then called Speedee and told them that Heartland does not endorse their practice of mixing Dexron III with T3 for my car. They told me that they would changed it out for Havoline Dex 6 but I would have to pay for the fluid price difference. No big deal, so now I have Dex 6 in my car.

I am glad you stood your ground here as they were using a supposed "Conversion" fluid.

There is no way in "Heck" you can convert DexIII/Merc into DexronVI.

Last edited:
Yes, I could've left the Dex III in there anyway since it was orignally spec'd Dex III-H. It's just that I had originally wanted Dex 6. Not until later in the process did I realize what they were going to do.

BTW, Heartland was not endorsing the Dex III plus T3 in my car. They said that it should be taken out and put QMI Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF.

A lot of cars 2006 and earlier still require Dexron III. You can use VI, but it can be too thin.
My Saturn S-Series is one.

If it were colder here, (Virginia) I would use 50/50 III and VI....

You were factory filled with Dexron3. I believe that 2006 is when Dex6 showed up.

The Chevron Dex3/Merc would work just fine all by itself.

Heartland T3 not needed but won't hurt. Leave it in until your next service.

DexronVI or equivalent is what you should upgrade to for your next service. No additives are needed with the newer spec'd fluids.

T3 enhances Dexron® III/Mercon ATF or equivalent fluid to perform as a Highly Friction Modified Mercon V fluid.
Protects against heat, oxidation, wear and friction, protecting the life of the vehicle.
Eliminates chatter and shudder.
Stops leaks.
Plus conditions seals and gaskets to prevent future leaks.

Pan drop is only a partial change.

Wow so basically that "shop" did some double talk and didn't explain what the other Dex 6 was got called on it by you and after you confronted them they had the nerve to charge you for the real deal? Dex 6 is a licensed fluid (the real stuff is) so they actually LIED to you. Sounds like that place is crooked to me.

I would have gone back and told them that adding that product did NOT create a licensed fluid and that you wanted your money back minus the cost of the DEX III. If they didn't agree to refund most of your money I would report them to the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs.

This is yet ANOTHER example of why the auto service and repair industry has such a horrid reputation.

Last edited:
Speedee is fraudulent because the invoice reads that they filled the transmission with Dex VI along with the T3. Dex III is not mentioned at all in the invoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back