Conventional or Synthetic in a old Mustang?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jongies3
What's wrong with Interstate batteries? I have one in the car now and it's given me no trouble. Have them in everything, actually!

Interstate batteries is what Costco offers. 42mo free replacement and the price is right.

What's wrong with Interstate batteries? I have one in the car now and it's given me no trouble. Have them in everything, actually!

Sorry man, probably nothing wrong with them, I've never bought one new. Maybe I'm a purist but I like to see original matching brand replacement parts in my cars. AC Delco batteries in my GM cars, Motorcraft in my Fords. I do have a Warmart battery I'm floating around in my GMs only because it was $49.95 and I needed it in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
I was thinking of using synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter and leaving them on there for a few years at least. Or just stick with conventional and change more often? It's a classic 1969 Mach 1 in pristine condition and only gets used on the nicest days, never sees cold weather, rain or snow.

If it's a classic in pristine condition why would you use a Fram filter and not an original Motorcraft? For that matter, I never understood why some folks spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a difficult restoration but put in an Interstate battery or use some off brand tires.

Because Motorcrafts tear and Frams don't, no way this car will ever see a Motorcraft filter until they (Purolator) steps up on quality control.

The Purolator boss filters pretty stout

I run a 10W-40 conventional oil in my 1970 Monte Carlo with a 1969 Big Block 396 in it. I prefer conventional oil in these older engines.

The oil in mine is several years old because I probably put less miles then you do on it. I've not put any miles on it in almost two years but have let it run up to operating temps a couple of times during that time.

Nice, I used to have a 74 Monte Carlo with a 454, I miss that car.

I have a '70 Mach 1 that has the 351 Cleveland 4 barrel engine. It was rotisserie restored when I bought it last year. Engine was rebuilt to stock spec so flat tappet cam. I run Motorcraft 15W40 HD diesel oil in it for the higher zinc and phosphorus levels. It seems to love it and purrs quiet as can be on cold start after sitting for a month. This engine was spec'd for 10W30 in winter and 20W40 in summer when new.

Decided to go with Pennzoil conventional, just changed it today! Thanks for all the input in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back