Conventional oil = semi synthetic?

I've gone 3400 miles in 13 months so far on SuperTech synth, 8000 miles and 23 months on a Wix filter.
I won't be changing oil and filter until the spring.
So I guess all hope is lost for me and mine...:eek:
One can only imagine how bad that oil is. Such willful disregard of the 5K/5 month general rule of thumb is shameful.

Those are just arbitrary numbers you picked and you cannot supply any data to show it’s a “general rule of thumb”.
Yes I can just look it up. Nowadays they say it’s 10,000 but anyone that goes that far on oil is crazy. I’m not going to far on oil I refuse to go over 5000.

Not really. I guess everyone has an opinion I don’t care what the company says I like my 3k and 5k oil changes. Based on what I have seen anyway I am not taking oil to 10k that’s crazy.
You do realize there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to sharing the lab results of oil used for well over 5000 miles, most of the time with excellent results. Oil doesn't "break down" just because it sits. It sits in the jugs for years sometimes, so should the stores just throw away oil sitting on the shelf for more that 5 months.

Not really. I guess everyone has an opinion I don’t care what the company says I like my 3k and 5k oil changes. Based on what I have seen anyway I am not taking oil to 10k that’s crazy.

Then you don’t believe in all the testing the oil companies do to show that their oil will hold up that length of time? They just don’t throw those numbers on a label without some backing.

You do realize there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to sharing the lab results of oil used for well over 5000 miles, most of the time with excellent results. Oil doesn't "break down" just because it sits. It sits in the jugs for years sometimes, so should the stores just throw away oil sitting on the shelf for more that 5 months.
Yes and I visit it frequently. My conventional goes to 3 months or 3,000 miles. The synthetic goes to 5,000 or 5-6 months for me usually. I’m old school.

Then you don’t believe in all the testing the oil companies do to show that their oil will hold up that length of time? They just don’t throw those numbers on a label without some backing.
I do trust it to an extent. I just can’t bring myself to run it that long it makes me nervous going that long.

Because don’t want it to start going bad and it’s synthetic so a general rule of thumb is 5000 or 5 months.

How does oil "go bad"? It's not produce, it doesn't have an expiry date. In fact the suitability for continued use is the primary purpose of Used Oil Analysis (UOA's), which measures various characteristics such as oxidation, insoluble contamination, particulate contamination, Total Acid Number, Total Base Number...etc. Oils are formulated to neutralize acids formed by the combustion process via basic compounds. They are also blended to resist oxidative thickening and breakdown and there are components used to keep what does breakdown in suspension, these are detergents and dispersants.

Oil doesn't just hit 5 months and all of these things go "I'm done", nor does it hit 5,000 miles and do the same. Hard driving with elevated oil temperatures will reduce the life of the oil, via oxidation, as will short tripping via the introduction of contaminants, however moderate driving where the oil gets up to temp can allow for much longer intervals than under either of those conditions, and there are plenty of other variables such as ring seal, sump size...etc.

How does oil "go bad"? It's not produce, it doesn't have an expiry date. In fact the suitability for continued use is the primary purpose of Used Oil Analysis (UOA's), which measures various characteristics such as oxidation, insoluble contamination, particulate contamination, Total Acid Number, Total Base Number...etc. Oils are formulated to neutralize acids formed by the combustion process via basic compounds. They are also blended to resist oxidative thickening and breakdown and there are components used to keep what does breakdown in suspension, these are detergents and dispersants.

Oil doesn't just hit 5 months and all of these things go "I'm done", nor does it hit 5,000 miles and do the same. Hard driving with elevated oil temperatures will reduce the life of the oil, via oxidation, as will short tripping via the introduction of contaminants, however moderate driving where the oil gets up to temp can allow for much longer intervals than under either of those conditions, and there are plenty of other variables such as ring seal, sump size...etc.
Oh that makes more sense. I always thought it could oxidize sitting still. I often short trip too.

Back