Conventional gear oil interval

My nephew will turn 18 in July, he just bought a nice 2001 Ranger 3.0 5 speed with 96k miles. I offered to help him go through all the fluids and fix it up little by little. He has the 7.5 open rear end, I drained out what I suppose was the factory fill and sealed it back up with a Fel Pro gasket and some Supertech 80W90 conventional. He drives it easy, doesnt run it hard, and has a 12 mile round trip drive back and forth to school every day. Are the Supertech gear oils decent, and how long should he go before we change it again? I was thinking every 50k but I figured I’d ask here first.

The majority of the wear metals were created eons ago and you just dumped them. Ford axles do not generate a lot of iron at his current mileage so I would think the oil is good for 50K with no problems.

SuperTech is made by Warren Oil and is good stuff.

I'm pretty sure the interval in the manual is 150K... bear in mind that was with 2001's 80W-90 which is more similar to today's 75W-110 than the "new" 90 grade.

Been following some of the debates about the use of conventional gear oil. Recently used Chevron ESI which is likely a semi. This is what I just ordered 9 of to get free shipping … plan to use this in my Jeep to continue flushing break in metals and then change at least once a year. Anyone think I’m off the plantation ?

Been following some of the debates about the use of conventional gear oil. Recently used Chevron ESI which is likely a semi. This is what I just ordered 9 of to get free shipping … plan to use this in my Jeep to continue flushing break in metals and then change at least once a year. Anyone think I’m off the plantation ?

Should of pointed out two other things:
1) This is under $4/quart for a Valvoline gear oil …
2) I’m keen to do another change due to high shock in a vehicle recovery

Given the issues with the Dana axles in the Wranglers (metal shedding, higher temperatures, reduced oil capacity, LSD disc material contaminating the oil, etc.), changing the oil often makes total sense.

Reactions: 4WD
Given the issues with the Dana axles in the Wranglers (metal shedding, higher temperatures, reduced oil capacity, LSD disc material contaminating the oil, etc.), changing the oil often makes total sense.
For sure … after seeing FF (attached) in just 3k … there is going to be more metal. Just could not stomach dumping expensive syns a couple more times … so decided to go with 140 in the conventional …
It‘s not something I’d leave in for a long time … but a solid old school gear oil …

DFFFA351-6049-4B6D-999F-C43921696C9C.jpeg

My nephew will turn 18 in July, he just bought a nice 2001 Ranger 3.0 5 speed with 96k miles. I offered to help him go through all the fluids and fix it up little by little. He has the 7.5 open rear end, I drained out what I suppose was the factory fill and sealed it back up with a Fel Pro gasket and some Supertech 80W90 conventional. He drives it easy, doesnt run it hard, and has a 12 mile round trip drive back and forth to school every day. Are the Supertech gear oils decent, and how long should he go before we change it again? I was thinking every 50k but I figured I’d ask here first.
Supertech products are great, especially for the value. You would be hard pressed to find a negative review on any of their oils and fluids. They all do the job without a blown up marketing budget behind them.

The owner's manual will say that the gear oil doesn't need to be changed unless the diff was submerged in water or if a leak was suspected.

I would run it out another 100,000 miles but you're certainly welcome to go less than that. That truck is well past the break in period, so any wear metals that were generated have all been drained away.

For sure … after seeing FF (attached) in just 3k … there is going to be more metal. Just could not stomach dumping expensive syns a couple more times … so decided to go with 140 in the conventional …
It‘s not something I’d leave in for a long time … but a solid old school gear oil …

View attachment 51904
Sent you a PM.

Not sure why Walmart.com has Valvoline products for less than SuperTech … first I got a bunch of Dex VI … and now the gear oil …

Supertech products are great, especially for the value. You would be hard pressed to find a negative review on any of their oils and fluids. They all do the job without a blown up marketing budget behind them.

While I agree with the quality of most of their products, I'm pretty sure Walmart does their fair share of marketing.

While I agree with the quality of most of their products, I'm pretty sure Walmart does their fair share of marketing.
I agree that Walmart as a company does their fair share of Marketing to get customers in their doors, but I've never seen Supertech on the side of a race car, billboard, Instagram ad, YouTube ad, or commercial.

Walmart's only visible allocation of their marketing budget towards the Supertech line is the periodic branding refreshes, which is pennies compared to what SOPUS for example would spend to put their logo on the side of a NASCAR or Top Fuel car for a season.

Should of pointed out two other things:
1) This is under $4/quart for a Valvoline gear oil …
2) I’m keen to do another change due to high shock in a vehicle recovery
Nice deal on the oil. I'm getting on Walmart right now!

I don't worry about the diffs for vehicle recovery shock. Your axleshafts twist under those loads and soften the blow.
Keep an eye on your motor/tranny mounts if you're tugging people often.
I typically only change the diffs if I had any stationary time in water or break something.

A few years ago, I broke a Detroit locker in 2 and swapped in an open carrier to get off the trail.
I collected the gear oil in our sandwich bags from lunch and when it came time to put the cover on, I put the sandwich bags in the diff and motored on.

Nice deal on the oil. I'm getting on Walmart right now!

I don't worry about the diffs for vehicle recovery shock. Your axleshafts twist under those loads and soften the blow.
Keep an eye on your motor/tranny mounts if you're tugging people often.
I typically only change the diffs if I had any stationary time in water or break something.

A few years ago, I broke a Detroit locker in 2 and swapped in an open carrier to get off the trail.
I collected the gear oil in our sandwich bags from lunch and when it came time to put the cover on, I put the sandwich bags in the diff and motored on.
Thanks … Will wallow under there in a week or so … on Zoom duty this week !
In hindsight I should of winched it … was in the same fluff as him with only 1 strap …
(Forgot my dove hunting bucket/seat with xtra kit) …

BTW: Glad that plastic worked out because I left a short piece of clear hose in the Tahoe front differential 😷

Back