Continental serpentine belt

Are these belts good? Im replacing the oem one on my F150 with 169k miles. I ordered one from Autozone, should be in tomorrow. I ordered the OE Technology series one, I would have liked to buy the Elite gatorback type, but I read they are discontinuing them. I heard Continental makes good products but I just wanted to ask on here. I was surprised at the price it was only 21 bucks as opposed to a Gates fleetrunner belt at $36 +

I miss the Gatorback/Elite too, but there's nothing wrong with the Continental OE Technology series :)

Last edited:
Continental belts are OE on some of the top auto brands; nothing wrong with them.

I miss the Gatorback/Elite too,

Why on earth would they do this?

Had a Gatorback on my Ranger for a couple years. It was cheaper than the Gates and it looked cool. That was my only reason for buying it. It has performed as a belt should, no noise, hasn’t broken. I don’t know what more I could ask of it.

I run ordinary Bando belts on most cars here just because they are inexpensive but still hold up over the two years I use them ( as I change them frequently).

On the trucks I have (and my mom’s Silverado), I spring a little more for the green Fleetrunner belts. Just because they are billed as a little heavier duty than regular belts, and they have that green layer that shows wear. 😎

Nothing wrong with Continental which I believe is the old Gatorback. My next go to belt is Dayco Top Cog. They have been the quietest for my F150/ 4.9. Motorcraft and Gates have gotten noisy after a few months.

Nothing wrong with Continental which I believe is the old Gatorback. My next go to belt is Dayco Top Cog. They have been the quietest for my F150/ 4.9. Motorcraft and Gates have gotten noisy after a few months.
Yeah, Continental bought Goodyear's belt business so it's now all Continental. Now belts are so good, they all seem to last a long time no matter which maker you buy it from.

Are these belts good? Im replacing the oem one on my F150 with 169k miles. I ordered one from Autozone, should be in tomorrow. I ordered the OE Technology series one, I would have liked to buy the Elite gatorback type, but I read they are discontinuing them. I heard Continental makes good products but I just wanted to ask on here. I was surprised at the price it was only 21 bucks as opposed to a Gates fleetrunner belt at $36 +

I have had a few squeal on me with the continental, the fit is good. I use OE mostly but Bando, Mitsuboshi and Dayco "w" belts seem to be the quietest and fit the best outside of OE. Gates is hit and miss. The gatorbacks were noisy with a whining noise and as clinebarger said very thin.

Never knew Continental made belts. I use Gates. The only time I haven’t used Gates is for the V-Belt on my truck and my Beetle because I couldn’t find a Gates one for it so I used Dayco.

Never knew Continental made belts. I use Gates. The only time I haven’t used Gates is for the V-Belt on my truck and my Beetle because I couldn’t find a Gates one for it so I used Dayco.
They bought that business several years ago.

Conti belts are good. I’m not sure if Conti fully integrated the former Goodyear/Veynance belt/hose business into their existing ContiTech division which has been a long time supplier to the German OEMs.

Gates is hit and miss. The gatorbacks were noisy with a whining noise and as clinebarger said very thin.
On a car I had, the Gatorback just barely missed OEM sizing by a hair. It installed with a little bit of a fight. Not sure it was a coincidence or age of the car, I had to replace the belt tensioner and idler pulley - both developed a growling sound. I installed the “cheap” Gates belt(MasterPro) and it worked fine before the car was junked.

I’ve been using Bando or Gates for belts recently.

Back