Continental ControlContact Tour A/S

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm considering these for my new-to-me van. They are NOT cheap but the stats are rather intriguing. Anyone have any experience with them or know anything about them?

http://www.continentaltire.com/product/controlcontact-tour-18560r15-84t

I just bought a set of these for the Camry at America Tire this morning. I've only driven the car a few miles, but my initial impression is very good. The car handles nicely, and the ride seems to be very smooth and quiet. These tires replaced a set of Michelin Defender (XT) that had about 46K miles on them.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

I just bought a set of these for the Camry at America Tire this morning. I've only driven the car a few miles, but my initial impression is very good. The car handles nicely, and the ride seems to be very smooth and quiet. These tires replaced a set of Michelin Defender (XT) that had about 46K miles on them.

Is that a branch of Discount Tire? This is supposed to be a discount tire exclusive.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Is that a branch of Discount Tire? This is supposed to be a discount tire exclusive.

Yes, Discount Tire and America Tire are one and the same. In some areas they go by America Tire, other places it is Discount Tire. Not sure the rhyme or reason.

It's a Discount Tire exclusive private version of the True Contact. Overpriced for a private exclusive tire, which should probably cost 20-30% less than the regular name brand version.

They also have a Control Contact Sport, a DT-exclusive version of the DWS.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's a Discount Tire exclusive private version of the True Contact. Overpriced for a private exclusive tire, which should probably cost 20-30% less than the regular name brand version.

Why should it be less?

I put a set of Control Contacts on my 2013 Dodge GC last june at DT. I wanted to order True Contacts, but they offered me the Control Contacts at the same price. Coming up on the 3rd. R&B. Very happy with them.

Why should it be less?

The tire can be made for a certain price point. Things like cheaper belts, a lower speed rating which allows cheaper construction like an S or T rated tire vs an H rated tire or higher. H rated tires and higher have a full cap ply. The lawsuit Firestone Explorer tires were not H rated. The amount of silica might be less in a store brand tire and antioxidants to ward off dry rotting can be lacking in cheaper tires.

We have a set (205/55/16) on our children's university car (Fifth and final at university now..Yeah!)..2002 Ford Focus ZTX with over 240,000 miles that looks and runs like new..Replaced Bridgestone Potenza RE92A. Very smooth, quiet ride. Not cheap but with 90,000 mile rated and road hazard certificates..The last set of tires needed.

Btw 4 ply tread 1 ply sidewall. Made in Brazil

Why should it be less?

Because store brand is always cheaper than name brand. Otherwise why buy the generic for the same price as national brand. Makes no sense
crazy2.gif

Why should it be less?
Because store brand is always cheaper than name brand. Otherwise why buy the generic for the same price as national brand. Makes no sense
crazy2.gif

If the Control-Contact is the same as True Contact, then there is no reason for it to cost less.

AT/DT and DTD are the same company with many store and online, they sold tires at very high volume a year, they can get exclusive model(just name) from manufacture so they don't have to price match with anybody.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Why should it be less?
crazy2.gif

If the Control-Contact is the same as True Contact, then there is no reason for it to cost less.

AT/DT and DTD are the same company with many store and online, they sold tires at very high volume a year, they can get exclusive model(just name) from manufacture so they don't have to price match with anybody.

You are correct. Ever shop for carpet, major appliances, mattresses even computers? More companies have specific models made for them so price shopping/matching is harder/impossible. Do they make more money? Possible but often the product is competitive. IMO same with these Continental tires.

Why should it be less?

crazy2.gif

It isn't a store brand. It is Continental.

Perhaps I should step in and clarify a few things.

First, it is not uncommon for tire manufacturers to produce clones of their name brand tires with different names on the sidewall. These can range from tires that are completely distinguishable from the name brand tire - same tread pattern, same brand name, but a different tire line name - to tires that are completely different in appearance and name - and everything in between!

Further, because the tire has a different name, it is possible that the tire is built differently, even though it is said to be the same as a mainline tire. For example, the tire MIGHT have a slightly different tread compound, and still be called "The Same!".

It is also possible that the tire is produced to different quality standards - that the limits for uniformity and balance are different.

- and just an aside: With the amount of automation that exists in tire plants, it is possible that even a tire with the exact same name can be delivered to different customers with different quality standards. OE tires is the obvious example.

We don't know which situation this line of tires falls into. The fact that the tire has the name "Continental" on the sidewall doesn't mean anything more than the tire is a Continental brand tire - and even though it is reported to be the same as some other Continental brand tire, the range of "same" can be quite wide.

And one last remark: It is possible for the tire to be a Discount Tire exclusive and while it has a brand name on it, it is in essence a store brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

And one last remark: It is possible for the tire to be a Discount Tire exclusive and while it has a brand name on it, it is in essence a store brand.

No, the brand is continental. You could call it a store specific lineup, model, product, etc. but not brand.

And none of the other potential differences you mention are known nor should they assume to be true. You could assume that to be true when the prices are lower (see goodyear viva 2 at walmart). The goodyear viva 2, there is plain evidence pointing to a tire being made to lesser quality due to price and lack of manufacturer warranty along with published reduction in spec quality (oh yeah, no good year warranty either). I think the Yokohama AS530 is another example of this product cheapening.

This tire from continental has none of those traits.

Last edited:
Walmart tire quality is questionable.

DT/AT/DTD is a very reputable tire company, I don't think they risk their reputation for cheaper version of Continental tire to make few dollars extra per tire.

I own a set of these Continentals, they are fantastic. I would not hesitate in picking them up, and yes I feel the quality is congruent with the true contact
How would I know. I just happen to own a set of both. My legacy is shod with them (true contacts). When I bought tires for my outback discount tire direct had a sweet deal going I couldn't refuse so I picked up a set of the control contacts. I mulled over just this whether they would be of the same quality and if I was giving anything up going to a store proprietary model (not brand fyi).
here is my take, wear wise they seem dead even as do they wet and dry traction. I have a 200 yard gravel and dirt driveway that's a climb up a hill (the reason I own Subaru's). The control contacts are a little better performing when it gets muddy lol not that mud performance is a car tires desire, but regardless they are. They also seem a little on the quieter side of things on the highway as well.
Snow performance I am not sure as I run dedicated snow sneakers on my outback in the winter but if they are on par with the true contacts then its good.
Also it should be noted these have identical utg ratings of 800AB

I put a set on my small SUV not long ago and I am very happy with them so far although I have only 5k on them. Have had some heavy rain and the traction is good.
I didn't consider them but the fella at DT brought them up when I asked what was available that was quieter than the Defenders I'd been running. In my case they are quieter and the ride is a little softer. I'm running them 5-psi higher than the door placard.
I have never ran any Continental tires until now and I'm liking them.
FYI - I noticed they (DT) have a new DT low cost tire called "Arizonian Silver Edition III". If I was on a tight budget I would have considered them, if budget was tight.

Back