Contaminated Brake Fluid = $4K Repair

If the fluid was only in for a very short amount of time, it MAY be possible to save the system with a thorough flush. However OP said it has likely been in the system for about a year. That’s long enough for contamination.

And to the post above, it’s due to “old” brake fluid, but incorrect fluid use

The friend needs to get the 2 fluids analysed then he and his indie (and/or a Chevy garage) will know what they're dealing with before shotgunning parts.

We go to trusted indie mechs because we don't trust dealership service upsells, in this case Chevy might have a list of parts to replace based on what's in the system. Maybe the indie has already found this out?

His brakes started performing peculiar over 4 months ago and recently became dangerous, sometimes grabbing - other times requiring multiple pedal pushes. Sometimes the pedal almost goes to the floor.

EDIT - he thinks the fluid contamination happened when, or before he purchased it = more than a year ago. I can add more once I see the repair bill.

People probably need to re-read this again (not you, @doitmyself )

Presuming there really is a fluid contamination issue, I can't blame the repair shop for replacing everything. Either that or turn the job down. What if they just replace calipers and master cylinder and the OP's friend has a brake-related failure, gets in an accident, etc, etc. Who wants that potential liability ?
Exactly. It is a huge liability for the shop.

Most shops want to correct the problem the first time…piecing the system together one visit at a time to try to save the customer a few bucks is not good business, nor is it convenient for both the customer and the shop. It’s asking for headaches and problems for both parties involved

Most shops want to correct the problem the first time…piecing the system together one visit at a time to try to save the customer a few bucks is not good business, nor is it convenient for both the customer and the shop. It’s asking for headaches and problems for both parties involved
Yes but few customers will agree to a $4,000 repair if a $150 flush could fix the issue, even if they will need further repairs at a later date.

Liability insurance is not an excuse to practice negligence.
Yes but you have to decide for yourself what constitutes it. I don't think suggesting a brake flush as a first step would be negligent.

Yes but you have to decide for yourself what constitutes it. I don't think suggesting a brake flush as a first step would be negligent.
Actually, no - you are not the decision maker. You have to think about it from the eyes of a judge/arbitrator. If the vehicle hits a person due to a potentially preventable brake failure, there is a serious liability on the shop for making that recommendation.

Yes but few customers will agree to a $4,000 repair if a $150 flush could fix the issue, even if they will need further repairs at a later date.

How is fresh fluid going to fix swollen rubber from oil contamination? The answer is it won’t.

That’s like saying soft rubber parts from constant exposure from an oil undercoating, for example, will shrink down if you clean them off.

How would that work, if the customer doesn't get into a crash, they're good ? 🤷‍♂️ The shop may not find out anything until they're served court papers for the lawsuit that they're named in.

How would that work, if the customer doesn't get into a crash, they're good ? 🤷‍♂️ The shop may not find out anything until they're served court papers for the lawsuit that they're named in.
my point is that it wouldn’t. There is someone here that is refusing to accept the fact there is a problem beyond fluid.

I took my Volvo to an oil change place once (as my regular shop was across town, the weather and roads were terrible and the change was overdue). The nice young man informed me that my transmission fluid was burned and needed changing. Nope I said, it's been changed within the last 6 months.

I later realized that he had been looking at the power steering fluid; the top of its reservoir said "Use ATF" (or words to that effect).

Now wouldn't it have been fun if he had drained my transmission and topped up the power steering reservoir. Last time I took my Volvo (or any other car) there.

my point is that it wouldn’t. There is someone here that is refusing to accept the fact there is a problem beyond fluid.
There may well be, just don't believe shooting the parts cannon and replacing everything for $4,000 is very ethical without knowing which parts are actually bad.

There may well be, just don't believe shooting the parts cannon and replacing everything for $4,000 is very ethical without knowing which parts are actually bad.

When you have experience with these types of problems, educated on how the system works, what kind materials are in each component, and have the proper training to correctly perform the repair, it isn’t firing the parts cannon. It’s fixing the problem. The problem is contaminated fluid, from what the repair facility observed, is some form of oil. Oil swells rubber. There is rubber in a handful of parts (MC, calipers, brake hoses and HCU) that are subject to to such contamination.

I’m not sure what else you’re looking for except for a cheap way out. There isn’t one, when done properly, with this kind of repair.

Tell him to bring it to a GM dealer. I’m sure they’ll tell him the same thing.

Back