Consumer Reports : Low-Rolling resistance tires rated

^^^They may use a different compound in Europe and another for the North American market.
Also, tires are just one of the many factors that contribute to better fuel economy. And changing just one thing on a vehicle will hardly show any benefits or detriment.

Here's an example:
My wife bought a brand new 2001 Lexus RX300 that came with Good/Year Integrity's. Not labeled as an LRR tire but due to its lower rolling resistance, the Integ's were measured & tested against the newly labeled/specific LRR tires and the Integrity's did quite well for themselves.

When we changed tires several years later, we had installed Good/Year Assurance Comfortread which were not anywhere close to an LRR tire. ATMOF, many owners complained about how their fuel economy had dropped with the Comfortread. We didn't notice any difference in fuel economy in this RX300 from one tire to the next. This V6 SUV was kind of thirsty IMO.

I then removed the roof rack cross rails to see if there was any change in fuel economy and ran the RX without the cross rails for 3 months. Again, NO DIFFERENCE in fuel economy. I've even tried different octanes of gas...NO DIFF!

So, it takes a great deal of things in order to change for the better or worst in terms of fuel economy.
I've never been more disappointed in a vehicle on many levels as I was with this RX300.

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
Just so everyone understands:

Many tires labeled LRR (or the equivalent) don't really have low RR values. What they have is lower values compared to tires of similar treadwear and traction characteristics. In fact, it is possible for a tire not so labeled to have a lower RR than one labeled as such. Weird, huh?

Here's an example:
My wife bought a brand new 2001 Lexus RX300 that came with Good/Year Integrity's. Not labeled as an LRR tire but due to its lower rolling resistance, the Integ's were measured & tested against the newly labeled/specific LRR tires and the Integrity's did quite well for themselves.
IMO, Goodyear designed the Integrity to meet OEM requirements - it was made originally on Chrysler’s behest for their minivans, then Toyota used it for the RX and 2nd gen Prius - 1st gen came off the line with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s. The Integrities were surprisingly decent in the dry but I had to be careful in the rain.

The next set of tires were Michelin Primacy MXV4s - I saw the best MPG on them. Then it was Defenders.

Many tires labeled LRR (or the equivalent) don't really have low RR values. What they have is lower values compared to tires of similar treadwear and traction characteristics. In fact, it is possible for a tire not so labeled to have a lower RR than one labeled as such. Weird, huh?
So with “ecological” branding like Michelin Total Performance/Green X, Conti EcoPlus, Pirelli Ecoimpact - all marketing?

I’ve even seen Eco-Safe on some brands is Chinese tire.

So with “ecological” branding like Michelin Total Performance/Green X, Conti EcoPlus, Pirelli Ecoimpact - all marketing?

I’ve even seen Eco-Safe on some brands is Chinese tire.
Nope, Didn't say that.

When a tire manufacturer tells you they are doing LRR or some sort of Eco engineering, they MIGHT be telling you that compared to their regular line of tires, the LRR or Eco tires will have better RR than those.

On the other hand, they could also be saying they are using sustainable ingredients without sacrificing anything. You have to read their write ups to find out.

And - sure - their marketing department is going to take that and run with it. They always need a good story to tell, and Eco is always a good one.

More government Baloney Sandwiches.

IME, it's extremely difficult to tell the difference in MPGs from tire to tire in a non-hybrid vehicle. Having driven more than 300k in two different Prius's I can tell you with certainty that there is a significant difference from tire to tire with hybrids. I've experienced a 10MPG difference between some brands.

More like corporate baloney sandwiches.
If a standardized set of government testing requirements existed similar to the traction and wear ratings on the tire today giving you both an RR rating compared to “similar size tires” and an absolute RR measurement compared to all you could start cutting through the bs in the US

Euro zone tires at least have a RR rating attempt

Vercigetorix, I hope you don't mind I quote this section from the link you posted, it's worth emphasizing imo...

The wet tests were conducted at a test facility in Mireval, France, in mid-October at 20 degrees Celsius, and, as the VB experts shared, during the left turn made on the Michelin e. Primacy, the grip on the front wheels suddenly disappeared, and the car kept on moving in a straight line. According to the experts, there are several «critical points» on the track, where the pilot is ready for such tire behavior, but this was the first case in over four years that tires lost grip so abruptly in such a relatively easy turn, made at a relatively low speed (about 100 km/h). The eco tires also made an unpleasant surprise on a circular wet track, where usually no problems occur, but this time the car fitted with the Continental EC6 span around its axis — something that has never happened before. When it came to wet braking, the eco tires again fell significantly behind the regular ones: the braking distance demonstrated by the best «green» tires was a car’s length longer, and by the worst «green» tires almost by two cars — all this considering the fact that the braking was performed from the modest 80 km/h.

«Although car makers do favor tires that have low rolling resistance, after a week of tests, our attitude towards them became pretty skeptical, and we don’t think it’s a good idea to have them installed on your car — the VB experts noted. — The driving safety is critically compromised. If you do care about the environment, you can find economy tires that have a slightly stronger rolling resistance, yet are capable of ensuring an acceptable level of safety. Mind, we were comparing the eco tires against High Performance models, created with a focus on ride comfort, and if we had compared them against UHP tires, the difference would have been even more prominent.»

IMO, Goodyear designed the Integrity to meet OEM requirements - it was made originally on Chrysler’s behest for their minivans, then Toyota used it for the RX and 2nd gen Prius - 1st gen came off the line with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s. The Integrities were surprisingly decent in the dry but I had to be careful in the rain.

The next set of tires were Michelin Primacy MXV4s - I saw the best MPG on them. Then it was Defenders.
YES! Our Integ’s were terrible in the wet. However, they we’re OK in the snow at getting started/off the line mainly due to the AWD but, horrible at stopping. The ABS would often kick in even in mild/normal braking and I would pass up my own driveway or my next turn.

When I finally switched tires to G/Y Assurance Comfortead, I had to check the ABS to see if they worked because it never kicked on. By testing, I sped down a quiet street and stomped on the brakes…YUP, the ABS works fine! The G/Y ACTs were superior to the INTEGs.

The best hand calculated mileage I ever got out of my Focus was on GT Radial Icepro snow tires. Better than the factory LRR tires. Also great snow tires!

YES! Our Integ’s were terrible in the wet. However, they we’re OK in the snow at getting started/off the line mainly due to the AWD but, horrible at stopping. The ABS would often kick in even in mild/normal braking and I would pass up my own driveway or my next turn.

When I finally switched tires to G/Y Assurance Comfortead, I had to check the ABS to see if they worked because it never kicked on. By testing, I sped down a quiet street and stomped on the brakes…YUP, the ABS works fine! The G/Y ACTs were superior to the INTEGs.
I think Goodyear’s OE efforts(Integrity, Eagle GA/LS/RS-A/GT, Wrangler SR-A/Fortera) aren’t great beyond taking the car off the assembly line to the dealer. I drove a car with RS-As and almost lost it with a medium touch of the throttle in the rain. ESP was struggling for a bit to bring the car back into line.

However, the cops still use RS-As(and Ford still uses them as OE on the police Explorer/Taurus) and it somehow passes CHP/LA Sheriff validation.

I think Goodyear’s OE efforts(Integrity, Eagle GA/LS/RS-A/GT, Wrangler SR-A/Fortera) aren’t great beyond taking the car off the assembly line to the dealer. I drove a car with RS-As and almost lost it with a medium touch of the throttle in the rain. ESP was struggling for a bit to bring the car back into line.

However, the cops still use RS-As(and Ford still uses them as OE on the police Explorer/Taurus) and it somehow passes CHP/LA Sheriff validation.
EVERY OE tire (meaning make/model/size) is unique to itself, even if the name on the sidewall is the same. Those tires are built to the vehicle manufacturers specs - and each is different.

In this case, you can be sure the tire spec'd for cop cars is totally different than whatever it was that nthach drove on.

And just as an aside - I'll bet cop cars specify which tires they want from the aftermarket. Not unusual when someone orders a whole bunch of vehicles. Those folks can specify almost anything the want. Large orders talk!

And just as an aside - I'll bet cop cars specify which tires they want from the aftermarket. Not unusual when someone orders a whole bunch of vehicles. Those folks can specify almost anything the want. Large orders talk!
The local cops go to Firestone for service and get Firehawk Pursuits but the bigger departments here piggyback off existing government POs - easier for the county GSA and buying power++. CHP(and all of CA’s “official” cars/trucks/prison buses/vans use Goodyear) enjoys the state purchasing authority, of course 😉

We bought the General Altimax 365. So far a pretty good performer. They are supposed to be excellent in snow, and good in wet and dry. You can definitely tell the low rolling resistance, it doesn't slow down all that much when coasting compared to the OEM tires.

Back