Construction Comparo...Mobil 1 vs. Fram Ultra Cartridge

Here are two filters, both for the same application, in the 3.6 Pentastar. Both had just over 7k miles on them. Both did fine, according to UOA's.

The Fram was very difficult to pull apart, requiring pliers and vice grips and lots of effort. The M1 has nothing backing the pleats, and it came apart comparitively easily. The Fram wins big time, but no worries. The M1 did its job and did it well enough. I have a stash of about 11 more M1 filters that I picked up last year at Walmart on clearance, so while I strongly favor the Ultra, the M1 will continue in service, unless someone wants to give me 15 bucks each for them so I can go get some Frams! Lol! Looking at it closely, the M1 looks like it is built like the old E-Core filters.

Enjoy and discuss!
Fram:
IFXYK3V.jpg

MCuaRhC.jpg

And Mobil 1....
aBQpMjz.jpg

Reactions: JC1
Looks like the Ultra in cartrige filter form usees nylon screen instead of metal. Seems to work too. Thanks for the pixs.

Looks like the Ultra in cartrige filter form usees nylon screen instead of metal. Seems to work too. Thanks for the pixs.
Yeah, someone around here awhile back told me the M1 and top Wix filters would have metal backing, and thus be better. I can tell you the Fram was VERY hard to pull apart. That nylon or monofilament backing is extremelyi well bonded to the media. It is many, many times stronger than the media on the M1. I haven't taken apart a Wix, or whatever Napa it would be (Gold? Platinum?) I'd love to see someone take one apart and share it.

Thanks for the Pics. I'm sticking with Fram Ultras for my vehicles run for multiple OCI.
Undoubtedly they could handle it. Even if the media became saturated with gunk, it would hold up. Super strong.

Like I said, though. I've got a stash of M1's and it held up fine and the UOA supported good filtration, so I'll run through them. That Ultra is bomb-proof, though, for sure. I run another Ultra cartridge version in my Mercedes and the other vehicles get the Ultra in can form. I've got very high confidence in these filters, as long as Trico doesn't degrade them somehow.

Thank you for the cut and post :)

The Napa Platinum/Wix XP for the Pentastar uses a metal wire backing, so it should be stronger than the Ultra. It is also included in the sales Napa runs from time to time

Thank you for the cut and post :)

The Napa Platinum/Wix XP for the Pentastar uses a metal wire backing, so it should be stronger than the Ultra. It is also included in the sales Napa runs from time to time

Have you torn apart an Ultra? I'm skeptical they could bond metal to the media as well as the polymer or nylon is bound to the Ultra's media. If it is stronger, I can't imagine why it would be necessary. It was shockingly hard to pull the Ultra media apart. I may have to buy a Napa just out of curiosity, to tear it apart. I won't run it, though. It isn't even as efficient as the Mobil 1 filter.

Also, it was on Bitog that I was told the M1 filter had metal backing. It has no backing, at all, as you could see.

Back