Confused with oil, Groups etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read a post that touted the Group ll+ base oils of Delo 400. Mobil likewise brags about their Group ll base oils in Delvac 1300 but add that Groups 1's are needed for solvency. Who is correct. I have read that the more severely oil is treated the more stable it becomes but loses solvency that is needed to hold that additives in suspension.
The way I understand it oils with PAO's use ester formulations to get around the same problem with the PAO's.
But back to the original question, who is blowing smoke about their formulations.
Thanks all
GregH

quote:

Originally posted by GregH:
Thanks Molakule,
I knew that someone would come up with the answer.
GregH

offtopic.gif
Yes, and MK's answer points out why mixing oils of various brands or types in order to come up with an "improved" home brew oil really isn't a good idea.

G-Man ll,
Thanks for the additional info. The oil companies each go into great detail as to why their motor oil is far superior to any other. Their reasons are often directly opposed to each other. What does the uninformed believe. Thanks goodness for this site. It is without doubt based on fact, and fiction is quickly exposed and dealt with. Old wives tales are quickly dispelled with. This is a fresh breath of air on the Internet. Please all keep up the good work!!!
Anyway thanks
GregH

When the API looked at oils for the CI-4 category and the tests they performed for about $6 million, this time instead of low saturate group I, higher saturate group I, and a group II base oil (used in CH-4), they used 75% saturate Group I, 90% saturate Group II, and 99% Saturate Group II.
The results so favor the 99% base oil that I's say the days are numbered for Group I base oils in Diesels.
ref: SAE Technical paper 2002-01-1673

Thanks for the additional info widman. I was trying to choose an oil for my Kubota diesel tractor. After comparing what I thought were the top 2 oils, Delvac 1300 super and Delo 4oo, their descriptions of the base oils were opposite. I ended choosing the Delvac 1300 Super because of the additive package but now understand the additives work for the particular base oils and am now totally confused. Except that due to better base oils the Delo may have been the better choice?????????????????????????
Still Confused!!!!
GregH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back