Confused On Ford Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I am too computer challenged to figure out how to search for the correct answer, so somebody will have to help me. My 2007 Ford Mustang V-8 uses the Ford Gold coolant that needs to be changed every two years, not the long life coolant. What kind of chemistry is this coolant, and are there any better alternatives? I don't want to mix chemistry types unless they are compatible because it is impossible to completely flush the system in Newport Beach California, the environmental law enforcement is too stiff.

I truly question that your 2007 requires two year coolant changes. Wh is telling you it needs to be changed that soon? What does your owner's manual say?

We have a 05 Mustang GT but it only has 22,000 miles of short stop and go trips. It will be 5 years come March. I am planning on a coolant flush with my next oil change. I just got done with a ATF cooler line flush so the car should be good to go for another 5 years.

The Ford gold coolant used in the Mustang V-8 is not a long life coolant (says so right on the container) and the service schedule says to change it every two years. The owner's manual specifically says not to use long life coolant.

I just read my owners manual and it does not say a thing about time on the service schedule. It gives info on specs and capacities. but nothing on when to change.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
go to genuineservice.com and put in your vehicle specifics. when you get to maintainence schedule, view the complete one.

The maintenance schedule for a 2007 Mustang does not open on this web site.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
I just read my owners manual and it does not say a thing about time on the service schedule. It gives info on specs and capacities. but nothing on when to change.

You are probably right. There should be a maintenance guide accompanying the owner's manual, a separate manual. You should find the coolant change interval there.

Originally Posted By: carock
The Ford gold coolant used in the Mustang V-8 is not a long life coolant (says so right on the container) and the service schedule says to change it every two years. The owner's manual specifically says not to use long life coolant.

The spare bottle of Ford Premium Gold I have in the garage does say "extended life" on the front. I purchased it about 12 to 18 months ago.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Ford Gold Coolant is good for 5 years or 100K miles!

This is what I remember from Ford training as well, but due to this thread I opened the maintenance guide that accompanies my owner's manual for my 03 Escape and found some confusing information. There is no mention of time, only miles. The first time it shows up is at 100,000 miles. It shows up again at 150,000 miles. There is no change for any of the severe service conditions listed. At both the 100,000 and 150,000 mile points, you are directed to record the coolant changes at the back of the book.

The really confusing thing is that in the back of the book, where you are led to from the 100,000 mile and 150,000 mile listings, it calls for every 50,000 miles.

Exactly! My 2008 Mustang GT manual says 5yrs/100,000 on the factory fill and every 3yrs/50k after that. It also says its factory filled with Premium Gold coolant. I think you've been mis-informed on the 2yr interval.

someone gave you bad info, heres the service schedule for 150k, first i see the coolant mentioned.

240,000 Km (150,000 Miles)

Change engine oil and install a new oil filter.
Rotate tires and inspect for wear.
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines, hoses and parking brake system.
Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise.
Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
Change Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant (see Exceptions To Normal Schedule and Mileage Base).
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
Inspect steering linkage, suspension and ball joints.
Inspect halfshafts, driveshaft and U-joints (if equipped).
Install a new fuel filter (not required for Fusion and Milan).
Install a new engine air filter (not required on Focus).
Check air filter restriction gauge, install a new air filter as necessary (Focus only).
Install a new cabin air filter (if equipped).
Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (except CVT transmission).
Change automatic transaxle filter (except CVT, Five Hundred and Montego equipped with a 6-speed automatic transaxle).
Change rear axle lubricant on all RWD vehicles.
Change rear axle fluid (Class A Motorhome).
Install a new accessory drive belt(s) (if a new belt has not been installed within the last 100,000 miles).
Install new climate controlled seat cushion filters (if equipped) (Navigator, Freestar, Monterey and Expedition).
Install a new climate controlled seat back filter (MKZ only).
Inspect PVC for flow (3V engines).
Lubricate steering linkage, suspension and ball joints (if equipped with zerk fittings).
Install new non-sealed RWD front wheel bearings and seals (if new bearings and seals have not been installed in the last 100,000 miles).
Lubricate the 4WD front axle shaft U-joints (if equipped) (F-250/350/450/550).
Change front axle lubricant (4WD only).
Change transfer case fluid (4WD only).
Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with a 4F50N, 5R44E, 5R55E, 5R555, TorqShift (with externally mounted remote filter) and CD4E transmission/transaxle. Install a new remote filter if equipped with a TorqShift transmission. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level using the fluid level indicator on all other vehicles (if equipped with an underhood fluid level indicator). Change the in-line service-installed transmission fluid filter (if equipped).
Carry-out multi-point inspection (recommended).

o and heres what to do for future changes, they say its due to not being able to control what type of water the end user uses.

Exceptions To Normal Schedule

Maximum Oil Change Interval

Normal schedule: 8,000 km (5,000 miles) or 6 months, whichever occurs first.
Special operating conditions: 4,800 km (3,000 miles), 3 months or 200 hours of operation, whichever occurs first.

Motorcraft Premium Gold Coolant

Change Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant at 6 years or 160,000 km (100,000 miles) of the vehicle's life, whichever occurs first.
After the initial change, change coolant every 3 years or 80,000 km (50,000 miles) thereafter.

You are right, my apologies. Just checked my owners manual again and it DOES say 5yr/150K
shocked2.gif
on the prem gold coolant. That must be some good stuff but I'm sure I won't leave it in there that long!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Oh wait a minute, it DOES say Ford PREMIUM Gold. I guess that's the whole story. So what formula is it, G-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back