Concrete Wall

I would like to attach a concrete wall with rocks to an existing concrete wall.

I made a form, poured Type S concrete on hardibacker and spaced out rocks.
I didn't use any wire mesh. The form is about 2 inches thick.

Should I use some wire mesh on back? Thoughts on how to attach it to concrete...Tap Con's and concrete or landscaping adhesive?

I have it resting against the wall I want to cover/attach it to.

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 8.16.18 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 8.16.10 AM.jpg

I'd use some tapcon screws and then hide with paint. Have to see how well one does in the concrete though as far as falling apart. Maybe drill through a rock and then the screws?

Hefty concrete anchor bolts should hold it. Still a pain the ****, I imagine.

Why didn't you just mortar and grout the stone to the brick after a good powerwash? It would be permanent I suppose.

Kinda interesting project though!

I was chicken to try that...I got the rocks from the beach which are only 1 or 2 inches thick. I saw Ardex is the product to use but expensive...so I was just DIY'ing on a budget that agrees with the wife.

I think I would have put this right on the wall. I would have drilled some holes for rebar and bent it 90 degrees for support coming out of the wall and then fabricated the wall. I don't think the mesh will do anything to help now that the wall is poured.

I guess the other option is drill some holes at the bottom and put rebar in them and set the wall on there. My concern with using lag screws or anything similar to fasten it now is the weight and the likelihood your stone wall will crack. I also wouldn't trust any adhesive, especially with concrete.

Just my $0.02

Back