Computer build I'm doing AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously better with the mechanics of building a computer. The software side of things, not so much.
I see the motherboard has Rev 1.03 and UEFI 2.10.1208 The Asus website shows newer versions.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I got the system up and running. Did some tweaks for the SSD that I read about. I installed the OS and did updates, as well as the move to 8.1

I'm intimidated by the doing all the bios/chipset drivers etc.

I might try to get an Asus tech to walk me through it.......

If you have 8.1 installed, it kind of sounds like you're "done" as far as that goes. I'm not sure what other BIOS settings or drivers you'd need to do. Most versions of Windows since about Vista have had a very comprehensive set of drivers either pre-loaded or downloadable through Microsoft Update. At the very least, your motherboard likely came with a disc with drivers on it...and if Windows is missing any drivers that can't be located through Microsoft Update, they're likely on that CD.

I'm obviously better with the mechanics of building a computer. The software side of things, not so much.
I see the motherboard has Rev 1.03 and UEFI 2.10.1208 The Asus website shows newer versions.

In general, I don't tend to update drivers just because a newer version exists, unless I'm trying to mitigate a known issue. I've had to restore an OS to a previous restore point before after updating the video card driver (and the driver came from the manufacturer).

If it's working and Windows recognizes all of the hardware, then I'd probably leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

In general, I don't tend to update drivers just because a newer version exists, unless I'm trying to mitigate a known issue. I've had to restore an OS to a previous restore point before after updating the video card driver (and the driver came from the manufacturer).

If it's working and Windows recognizes all of the hardware, then I'd probably leave it alone.

before I update drivers/bios etc I review the change control doc or readme doc to review the fixes, if I don't need any of the fixes, I will not take the update.

Personally, Windows isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Expensive? Yes.
But it works almost flawlessly in my computer and has always been pretty much flawless in all of its versions. (98-XP-Vista-7 and W8-W8.1)

No, i'm not a fan boy buts sometime i feel the hate is unfounded. (Aside from its price)
Now i'm not saying i've never had issues but it's nothing that i would call serious or cost me money. I dont expect it to be perfect, as with everything else.

Last edited:
I feel you....... Owned pretty much every version. 3.1 on up. Been pretty happy with them.
Originally Posted By: Noobie
Personally, Windows isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Expensive? Yes.
But it works almost flawlessly in my computer and has always been pretty much flawless in all of its versions. (98-XP-Vista-7 and W8-W8.1)

No, i'm not a fan boy buts sometime i feel the hate is unfounded. (Aside from its price)
Now i'm not saying i've never had issues but it's nothing that i would call serious or cost me money. I dont expect it to be perfect, as with everything else.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
I dont expect it to be perfect, as with everything else.

I don't believe there is a perfect operating system...just ones better suited for some people than others. I've used Windows since 3.1. I've used about 4 different versions of Mac OS X (sorry...just OS X now). I used FreeBSD about 15 years ago and I've used a number of flavors of Linux in the past 2-3 years. All installed on personal machines in my home that I used daily.

All had their own sets of pros and cons. None of them were perfect, and certainly not as "gotta have it" as any of their fan bases suggest. OS X got sluggish over time just as Windows does. The Linux flavors either didn't work (no drivers/software) or were too limiting in what I could do, and Windows is expensive and somewhat more time consuming (in terms of updates/antivirus/etc).

What I use today is a mix of OSes...but I use the ones I do because they work the best for me. Most of our machines run Windows. The price will be better soon: 10 will be free for 7/8/8.1 users for the first year after it comes out. So that'll be nice. And I've installed the Technical Preview on a number of my machines (on spare hard drives) and it's impressive...very fast...very easy to install...just plain pleasant to use. The other OS I utilize heavily (besides Android phone/iPad) is Chrome OS. My old Samsung Series 3 Chromebook is always by my side and does almost everything I need a computer to do. Most all of my personal files (aside from pictures/home movies) are on my OneDrive Cloud and I create/view/edit any and all MS Office documents for free on OneDrive, from my Chrome OS device. Google Drive works good, except for editing MS Office documents. It tries, and it does okay with simple types of documents, but anything with more complex formatting confuses it. I'm fully aware that that's likely due to Microsoft implementing certain formatting in a proprietary way in Office. It is what it is. So I use OneDrive instead.

I personally recommend to folks to take any single-tracked advice ("this one particular OS is the best and nothing else will do!") with a grain of salt. Try it, and try others, but keep an open mind about you, and decide for yourself which is most appropriate for what YOU need or want to do.

Just like with a car...I can tell you what works for my family, and I can give you my own experience regarding reliability of cars that I've owned, but I can't tell you what's best for YOU based on what works for ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back