Compressor oil?

Some may have seen my recent thread about air compressor size. Well I returned the 0.9hp 6ga unit and picked up a Campbell h. vt620400aj 20ga unit rated for 6-8cfm from 40-125psi. Used but seems to work well. Anyways I picked up some powermate “all weather” air compressor oil at menards looking to change that out (as well as a slightly bent drain cock). So far sounds and functions fine. Is there any specs for air compressor oil I need to meet or is it basically all the same?

Don't buy no name mom & pop gas station garbage that says API SA on it. Those are the oils tested by PQIA and usually have containment's galore.

Some may have seen my recent thread about air compressor size. Well I returned the 0.9hp 6ga unit and picked up a Campbell h. vt620400aj 20ga unit rated for 6-8cfm from 40-125psi. Used but seems to work well. Anyways I picked up some powermate “all weather” air compressor oil at menards looking to change that out (as well as a slightly bent drain cock). So far sounds and functions fine. Is there any specs for air compressor oil I need to meet or is it basically all the same?

The powermate oil is fine. Air compressors require only the most basic of oils.

FWIW we had problems with industrial compressors at a concrete plant I worked at in the 1990s that required summer and winter oil. We didn't know that and burned one up with the winter oil in the summertime.

My compressor likes Dewalt synthetic oil pricy but works when it's cold. With this oil, the compressor runs cooler and strat ups draw less current when cold compared to regular non-detergent. Dewalt Synthetic oil

I got a killer deal, real cheap on Redline synthetic compressor oil a few years back. I have enough to probably last me as long as I'll be able to use my compressors. I noticed in the very cold weather my old 15 gallon 3/4 HP Craftsman compressor doesn't labor to build pressure the first few seconds like it did with SAE30 non-detergent oil. My 60 gallon compressor is about the same.

You should never use a detergent oil, and they confuse the issue by often using automotive viscosities, (SAE). Air compressors should be specs by ISO viscosity (SAE 30 = ISO 100, SAE 20 = ISO 68), and should be what we call R&O oils, with additives only to protect against rust and oxidation of the oil in high temperatures. I always recommend synthetic for screw compressors. Optional for piston types.

I work in maintenance for a school, when we service the air compressors for the unit ventilators we always use a quality Non-detergent 30wt. NAPA - MOBILE - VALVOLINE - CAM 2 etc.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Royal Purple compressor oil for years, but any reputable brand will do. Some use non-detergent engine oil, but I prefer specifically formulated compressor oil. The operating conditions are radically different from a piston engine. Far more moisture, no combustion byproducts, no soot, much lower oil temperature.

We use this on our work compressors.

1598237333652.png

I went through this some time ago. Talked to a number of engineers and compressor builders. It came down to "Use a good synthetic motor oil" (I use 10w30 Mobil 1.).

Back