Communter car...which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a short to medium term commuter car that can be sold a couple years from now. Considerations are no timing belts, purchase price and ability to resale later to recoup some of the purchase price and highest level of reliability. All cars appear to be physically in good shape good tires, body and interior is good/clean, no visual issues. All with clean/non salvage titles. Which would you buy and why?

Option 1: 2007 Toyota Avalon 3.5 L V6 250K $2400
Option 2: 2007 Mercury Milan 2.3L 4 cyl 130K $3200
Option 3: 2003 Buick Lesabre 3.8L V6 80K $3600

Is the high mileage Toyota worth raking a $800-1200 gamble? Is the 2.3 4 cyl Ford durable? Is the age of the Buick a liability? Hit me with your opinions between these three. (Don't muddy the waters with "I'd buy an '01 Belchfire 88 if it were me.) Tough enough deciding between these three....LOL

Have fun debating

Last edited:
How many miles per year?

You say has to be "highest level of reliability" but are looking at 12 year old cars. Just what are you expecting? Is the list of cars in your sig not for you to use, or is this for someone else to use? although I suppose it's not any of my business, the thought does come to mind, and leads to the next question: it's a 12 year old car. What if Monday morning it decides to not start? Or starts but won't move forward? Is there a backup plan? What if the car goes down for a week for an issue?

As a resident Toyota fanboi that is my pick. It's also the cheapest. Albeit with most miles and probably first to break, but hey, it has at least $800 in savings to blow on a repair. The 3.8 Buick is second, those seem to be well loved. But what probably should be first is the one with the best maintenance records and least amount of problems, either immediately seen or historically. [IIRC the only issue with the Avalon is the 3.5's had a plastic oil cooler line, which probably has been replaced by now. No idea on the others.]

I'd pick the Toyota because I already have a Techstream copy and wouldn't have to worry about getting another scanner, and it'd "feel" like my other Toyota's. Wheels from another Camry might swap over too. But those are considerations which probably don't apply to you or anyone else.

A Civic is a great commuter car with great resale.
Depending on how far you are driving, the fuel cost saving should allow for a better car.

Heck, maybe even do a cheap lease on a new car?
For 3 years you would have very low cost above the payment.

Good luck.

ive had a 08 fusion that i bought new..im only at 80k right now, but its a good car. the first gen fusions are known to be great cars. the 2.3/2.5 is a lil noisy for some, but is very easy on oil. nice all around package. the milan should be a good one too, as its the same as a fusion.

The Buick has the bulletproof engine and transmission and probably the most comfort and smoothest ride. Gas mileage is reasonable but a more modern platform would be even more economical for not much or any more money. A 2006-08 Impala with the 3.5L will top 30 mpg.

The Buick is older, but fresher with the lesser miles and larger V6. Thats the way to go!

(Unless you happen across a mint condition '01 Belchfire 88, of course...)

Id typically choose the Toyota but 250k miles is high-ish. Why these options? Id look for a Camry instead of an Avalon with lower miles. Id look closer at the Buick but price is high to me.

There are only 3 options. Focus. Is a reliable brand with 250k a better bet than a 4 year older car with 80k? Or the same year with 120k less miles? The Avalon and LeSabre are similar large floaters, the Milan is a dead brand but gets good reviews. Maintenance history would be a huge factor. You don't mention the miles you'll put on it. Be tempted to split the years and mileage on option 2.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
The Buick is older, but fresher with the lesser miles and larger V6. Thats the way to go!
+3
Not just because it has the lowest miles, it is also a very good reliable car, it is a very comfortable driver, and it will get in the low 30 MPG range on the highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
What are you currently driving? Most people don't need a work car as it's just false economy.

I drive over 50,000 miles a year, so having a smaller economy car and a larger heavy duty truck makes sense to me.

The right tool, for the right job, at the right time.......

I'd go buick. 3.8, might need intake gaskets but other than that solid and the lowest miles. Parts are cheap and available too. Might have better resale than the avalon that already has 250k on it now.

One of the best cars GM ever built would be my pick of these three and I'm sure seller would be open to a little haggling on price.
Still, there is a universe of used cars out there, so I can't see any good reason to limit your choices to these three.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
What are you currently driving? Most people don't need a work car as it's just false economy.

Disagree. I believe it is a false economy to drive around a F-350 lifted truck for a "commute to work car"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sopususer
Looking for a short to medium term commuter car that can be sold a couple years from now. Considerations are no timing belts, purchase price and ability to resale later to recoup some of the purchase price and highest level of reliability. All cars appear to be physically in good shape good tires, body and interior is good/clean, no visual issues. All with clean/non salvage titles. Which would you buy and why?

Is the high mileage Toyota worth raking a $800-1200 gamble? Is the 2.3 4 cyl Ford durable? Is the age of the Buick a liability? Hit me with your opinions between these three. (Don't muddy the waters with "I'd buy an '01 Belchfire 88 if it were me.) Tough enough deciding between these three....LOL

Have fun debating

Since you're in the rust free zone the buick's a contender. They run until they rust out, up here.

The Milan's a solid pick as well. The auto trans seems to be fragile but it could make it to 200k. Consider adding a cooler and doing frequent oil changes with stock or synthetic fluid.

Whenever someone states flat out they want no timing belts it strikes me as an arrogance/ignorance in not wanting to learn to change them, or to pay a fairly well known set price for maintenance that could be budgeted ahead of time into the purchase price. Same with refusing drum brakes.

Originally Posted by sopususer

Have fun debating

Let me have Door #3 for $3600.
Just be sure it has good brakes, being you live up in the high hills of Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back