Commonly available and KV @40C of <150 cSt

I'm looking for a general purpose grease in a 14oz (or so) cartridge with a Kinematic Viscosity of around 100 cSt.

Other preferred characteristics are:
Inexpensive (< $7 per tube)​
Readily available in stores across the USA​
NLGI 1.5-2​
Lithium or Lithium Complex​

I find it difficult to quickly locate KV data for most greases sold at Walmart etc. So far, the closest that I've found is
VALVOLINE™ MULTI-VEHICLE HIGH TEMP RED GREASE with a KV @40C of 150 cSt.

Valvoline at Autozone

TIA

Well if you only need to be close all of these are eith li or li-complex
Mobile 1 syn grease is 150
Valvoline full syn is 120
Valvoline multi vehicle w/moly is 150

If you actually need iso 100 grease then you'll probably have to order it
Shell Gadus S2 or S3 v100
Mobile shc 100
Mystik jt-6 syn 100 (non gc-lb that version is 220) 2

The real cheap greases stp, super tech, etc don't publish their product info.

Are you referring to VALVOLINE™ FULL SYNTHETIC MOLY-FORTIFIED GREASE ?

Datasheet says KV @100C = 12.0. No data for KV at 40C. No data for Viscosity Index.

You're right I messed that one up.
Full syn doesn't say. It's part of their "light duty" though so it should be in the ballpark of 150. All the other greases in that range are 120-170 The "heavy duty" ones are all 220s

Multi vehicle w/moly was the 120

What's this for? Most of the time 100 is specced it's for high speed bearings and they don't typically allow for moly. Electric motor greases are often around 100 as well but non EP and mostly polyurea. Lithium electric greases do exist but probably not easy to find.

Last edited:
... What's this for?
general purpose

Machinerylubrication.com seems to suggest that "multi purpose greases" have a KV in the range 100-220.

In_the_Trenches_Figure1.jpg

Last edited:

Ahh I would recommend looking for lithium greases that meet GC-LB specs. That is the automotive general purpose spec for chassis and bearing lubrication.

All of the Valvoline greases and mobile 1 syn are gc-lb rated. You should be able to go in to any parts store anywhere in the US and pick up a tube for under $10. GC-LB doesn't guarantee a specific base oil but it does mean a minimum performance and it's suitability in those applications.

Anybody know of a readily available, inexpensive, general purpose grease in a tube with a Kinematic Viscosity of less than 150 cSt at 40C?

Maybe it doesn't exist.

You're right I messed that one up.
Full syn doesn't say. It's part of their "light duty" though so it should be in the ballpark of 150. ...

VALVOLINE™ FULL SYNTHETIC MOLY-FORTIFIED GREASE

Although you were mistaken about the spec., this may be exactly what I am looking for. I couldn't find any published data for KV @40C, so I emailed Valvoline Tech Support. The response that I received was "this would run between 80-90 cSt at 40C". I asked if there was an official document with this data, but have not received a response in 2 days.

Lucky for me, NAPA has it "on sale" now for $7.

Thank you for your help.

Back