comfortable hwy cruiser/ fuel miser needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
And I would sell the other 3 vehicles and perhaps buy a used truck, because everyone needs a truck

Why would he sell a 10 year old used truck he already owns to buy another used truck?

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Honestly, if it were me, I'd sell all three vehicles, use the money to buy a low mileage/new camry or accord and call it a day. Fuel + repair costs + insurance on 3 cars must be pricey. He might as well get a reliable sedan and focus on his new job.

+1

With the cost of oil going where it is going, I would simply drive either the Dakota or the Challenger for the commute, especially if it were only a couple of days/week. I would do this, especially in the short term until he sees how the dynamics/stability of the job play out. No point spending more money or making radical change until he even sees if he truly wants to keep the job or stay in the area. Who knows? Perhaps he might even negotiate a mileage stipend into the deal if they want him bad enough.

If he ends up truly needing another car, I would look at a lightly used Cruze Eco or a regular Fusion/Fusion hybrid as options. If cars are his hobby and he can tote the note, add a fourth to the stable. If he needs to get rid of something, get rid of one of the "Toys," either the Mustang or the Challenger. If it were me, I'd do away with the Dodge, and pursue the dream of "Refurbishing" the Mustang.

Why not just alternate between the vehicles he already has,that's what I'd do. I don't believe in garage queens,that's just plain silly. Drive them,enjoy them,don't keep them in low mileage mint condition for the next owner. Life is short,we can't take our cars with us.

He never intended to have a garage queen, or 2, sometimes things just work out that way.

After work today, he picked me up in the Volt on a test drive.

He's currently in with the finance man( paying cash) to buy it.

Will sell the chally himself. Still plenty of car shows this summer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
He never intended to have a garage queen, or 2, sometimes things just work out that way.

After work today, he picked me up in the Volt on a test drive.

He's currently in with the finance man( paying cash) to buy it.

Will sell the chally himself. Still plenty of car shows this summer...

well, congrats.

I would recommend capable winter tires (over the winter...)

I would let actual Volt owners give the rest of the inputs.

Hopefully he can charge it at the company parking lot
grin.gif

Last edited:
An extra 280 miles a week is not a biggie and a very thrifty car won't save enough two buck a gallon fuel to matter.
WRT winter, maybe he could defer his trips so as not to have to drive seventy miles west on really bad mornings?
If not, a good set of dedicated winters will be as nothing compared to the price of another ride.
Were I he, I'd just keep what I have and use it.
I'd personally just use up that old Dodge pickup.

I love gassers dawggg. Nothing in Honda rings a bell here, move along. I drive a Civic, what do I know!(?)

Last edited:
He should wait until he is actually hired before worrying about what car to use.

He may even be provided a company car to make the Indiana commute, or a mileage reimbursement.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
An extra 280 miles a week is not a biggie and a very thrifty car won't save enough two buck a gallon fuel to matter.

This.

280 a week is nothing, don't worry about buying another car to save fuel.

If this is me I'd keep the Mustang for good weather and the Dakota for snow storm, then sell the Challenger before the depreciation get worse.

we've nearly gotten him convinced to sell the mustang as is.
after all it is a 1 owner, salt free, bone stock,extra low mile(14.5k), manual, unmolested example.

granted it's an example of an SN95, with a 2v 4.6 modular... but there has to be someone out there crazy enough to be looking for just that...

then he could replace it with a used "new edge" model, he likes their looks better, and the cobra rear end(IRS) he has came from an '03. it'll bolt right up.

chally should be an easy sell. (1 owner, salt free, 2015 Challenger R/T (Super track Pack), Black, houndstooth seats, 20' Forged wheels, etc..)

so far he's loving the volt. and since he bought it used, with a couple scratches, he doesn't have the same compulsion to keep it absolutely pristine..
already researching wheels and winter tires.

as for the comments of 280mi wk is nothing, maybe he'll get a reimbursement, etc.
his old job in tx was a 40mi commute each way, and that drive drove him absolutely batty.. the last year his "commute" has been the 5 mi or so between his house and mom & dad's

the new company does pay mileage, and told him they may have him get a rental on the days he has to go to auburn, In. (might be cheaper than paying him mileage)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A Toyota Highlander Hybrid/Lexus RX Hybrid is another choice that is decent. Will still do better than the current stable, be bigger and somewhat more utilitarian, a decent compromise.

+1
Both of them are smooth, quiet, and comfortable vehicles to drive with decent performance. Both of them have near bullet-proof reliability and are not fussy to maintain. The Highlander is larger, has a 3rd row seat, and is more reasonably priced. I would add all-wheel-drive to this recommendation because of where he lives.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
we've nearly gotten him convinced to sell the mustang as is.
after all it is a 1 owner, salt free, bone stock,extra low mile(14.5k), manual, unmolested example.

granted it's an example of an SN95, with a 2v 4.6 modular... but there has to be someone out there crazy enough to be looking for just that...

then he could replace it with a used "new edge" model, he likes their looks better, and the cobra rear end(IRS) he has came from an '03. it'll bolt right up.

chally should be an easy sell. (1 owner, salt free, 2015 Challenger R/T (Super track Pack), Black, houndstooth seats, 20' Forged wheels, etc..)

so far he's loving the volt. and since he bought it used, with a couple scratches, he doesn't have the same compulsion to keep it absolutely pristine..
already researching wheels and winter tires.

as for the comments of 280mi wk is nothing, maybe he'll get a reimbursement, etc.
his old job in tx was a 40mi commute each way, and that drive drove him absolutely batty.. the last year his "commute" has been the 5 mi or so between his house and mom & dad's

the new company does pay mileage, and told him they may have him get a rental on the days he has to go to auburn, In. (might be cheaper than paying him mileage)

Keep us posted as to how the Volt does. FWIW there are quite a few of us out there that really like SN95 Mustangs. I worked on one earlier this year and liked it so much I got a New Edge for myself. I think they have decent power unless you're drag racing, then they'll only do high 14s or low 15s.

Wow. Just found this thread in my history...an update if anyone cares.....
He passed on that job, bc the day before they offered it to him, he got an interview with one he liked better.

They didn't hire him.

Another year and a half went by, applying left and right, 90% of the time hearing diddly squat from the companies.
This past Christmas, he got an offer from crown equipment
( makers of forklifts, etc. Corporate headquarters is about a 40 min drive South of here), and accepted.
Finally employed 2.5 yrs after moving back home.

Still has all the cars. Bought a second set of volt wheels off eBay, and had winter tires mounted on them.
Switches back and forth appropriately.

Only maintenance the volt has needed was a new set of tires, as the old Goodyear's had a vibration no one could isolate...

Originally Posted by earlyre
my brother moved back home from TX 14ish months ago, to be nearer to family etc.
there haven't been many job openings in his chosen narrow field(IT, he was level 3 desktop support/ Citrix guy for the university hospital he worked for in TX)

something promising opens up at a relatively close manufacturing plant, applies, during first interview he finds out, he'd be the only IT guy supporting both this plant, and one 70-ish mi away in Indiana. he's since had 2 more interviews, including a tour of both plants. they haven't come back with an offer yet,but of course, he's running the numbers on the at least twice weekly trips to the Indiana plant, and has decided he needs a car with better Mileage/and will handle the snow, should we get an actual winter again..

He Currently owns 3 VERY low Mileage vehicles. All RWD/4x4 V8's.
1)1998 Ford Mustang GT 14,500 mi spent last 18years garaged waiting for him to decide to start to build it up
2)2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7HO ~45k mi. pretty much been his DD since moving up here,before that it sat 6 mos or more at a time. aroung 15mpg hwy
3) 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T. 5.7 Hemi, 8 spd auto. bought a couple months before the move, was hid DD then, up here, it largely sits, was put in storage over winter.

here's the Fueleconomy.gov comparison of what he has:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35362&id=23673&id=14087
when he went for the interview/tour of the indiana facility, he drove the Dak, it cost him $30 in gas round trip.(it's the High Output Engine, takes Premium)

he's currently thinking about this Volt, at our local Dodge Dealer. (2014, 27k mi, $13,886, "free Limited lifetime powertrain warranty")
http://www.tomahl.com/used/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Volt-Lima-3db486500a0e0a1777641ac09375d0cb.htm

he's back and forth on trading the Chally in, as he very likely won't find another one similarly equipped...
if not, he'd pay cash for the Volt, (as he's done for the last 5 or 6 cars, and 2 properties he's owned.)

any volt opinions/ red flags/etc?
is there a better riding commuter with similar fuel econ/ at a similar price point?

The Ford CMAX is worth looking at. They get excellent MPG but drive more like a "normal car" and have lots of space due to the hatchback. They also kind of flew under the radar so you can generally get them for cheap.

Failing that, used Prius. They're the undisputed leader of their segment for a reason.

Unless the main facility he would be working at is also far from his home, he really isn't going to be driving an astronomical amount of miles. Hybrids are especially economical when doing stop and go city driving. For straight freeway use they aren't much more frugal than a similar sizes gas only vehicle. There are many non hybrid sedans that can get a true 40 mpg on the highway all day long, especially if driven in the sedate manner you say your brother drives. I'd take a hard look at a 2019 VW Jetta. The 1.4 TSI engine is spunky and extremely fuel efficient. 6yr/72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and in my opinion much more roomy and comfortable than something like a Corolla, Civic or Volt. Pretty decent in the snow on standard tires. Get some all weather tires, like Bridgestone Blizzaks, and you can go just about anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back