Cold start oil less able to protect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always idled my cars at start up to warm the oil as much as reasonably possible so it doesnt shear apart in faster moving engine parts like pistons or turbos. Is this ignorant? Is a little idle when very cold, none when not, and driving slowly at around 2-3K for about 5-10 minutes just as effective while reducing fuel dilution and fuel consumption?

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Is a little idle when very cold, none when not, and driving slowly at around 2-3K for about 5-10 minutes just as effective while reducing fuel dilution and fuel consumption?

That's basically what I do. I learned it from my at least one of my cars' owners manuals.

I read a great tech article on this subject in a major auto magazine (Car & Driver or Road & Track, can't remember which one).

Their recommendation was a 30 second idle after start, then drive slowly and easy with low RPM's for 2-3 minuits thereafter. After the 2-3 minuits, its actually better for the engine to speed up and heat up.

I use the built-in timer of sorts on my car. Like other modern Fords when starting up it goes straight for 1400RPM or so and idles down based on ECT and IAT, etc. I wait for it to go under 1k and drop it in gear.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I use the built-in timer of sorts on my car. Like other modern Fords when starting up it goes straight for 1400RPM or so and idles down based on ECT and IAT, etc. I wait for it to go under 1k and drop it in gear.

That is exactly what I do. Learned it from my father. No point in slamming an auto tranny in gear or burning up a clutch because the idle speed is too high. Worst case in the dead of winter, the car idles for 1-3 minutes before it drops below 1000 rpm.

AD

I have an oil pan heater, block heater, and heater hose heater.
just buy a nice timer, and preheat for 1-3 hours prior to leaving.
If mild out, just heat the block. if a bit colder, block + oil.
if deep winter cold, you can heat all 3.
And anyone who says I am wasting electricity - not true, a cold engine drinks fuel until warmed up, so you actually have a net saving with less carbon emission. plus your engine thanks you, and driving is so much more pleasant when starting with a warm engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back