Cold ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked my ATF Fluid, running Redline D4. Its been a bit colder than normal, Morning was -6F and afternoon was 8F. Everything started fine, fresh battery doesn't hurt
grin.gif

OK, so here is my question, after driving 20 miles, everything should be warmed up, but checking the ATF fluid, its a little lower than normal where its dropped below the low mark. Is this normal? Shouldn't the ATF be operating at "Operating" temperature, so shouldn't the level be what it is normally?

In those temperatures, I wouldn't think 20 miles would be enough to warm it up...but I only pretend to be an expert.
smile.gif

I've read somewhere that the ATF usually runs about 80 degrees F above ambient during normal driving (no towing, racing, sitting in a lot of traffic). So, even at 8 degrees ambient, that would only put your ATF at about 88F which is still relatively cold, so it would be low on the mark.

DEWFPO

However, you imply that after 20 miles it is below the low mark on the sitck, not below the full but below the low. to me that is too low after 20 miles. try 20 miles Interstate and see where it shows

Actually, that was highway driving. But normally, when I did the fill and past checks, my baseline level was just above the low mark to begin with. This weekend is supposed to warm up to freezing (now doesn't that sound strange
grin.gif
) so I will recheck then. I doubt that I am leaking any fluid, but you never know, hope not anyways
dunno.gif

Actually m2, the ATF won't warm up too quickly on the hwy if you are in 4th gear with the torque converter locked up. I checked mine (in our typical sub-zero weather) after a 130 mile trip and it was cool to the touch. Best way to get it up to temp is to run it for 30 min in town. The stop and go will make the torque converter shear the fluid more and consequently warm it up.

quote:

Originally posted by m2pc:
Actually, that was highway driving. But normally, when I did the fill and past checks, my baseline level was just above the low mark to begin with.
dunno.gif

I run mine at the full mark when hot. Sounds like you need to add a few ounces to bring it up to full hot, at least that is what I would do. May not take much though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back