C'mon, we all need a Pinto, right?

Was spending a random day in a few junkyards for small parts for various vehicles/projects. No big success but I did score a Redwood finish wooden gear shift for a P80 Volvo turbo (soon to be regular driver for me) for $10. Yay.

Stumbled across this beauty looking elsewhere for some elusive vintage Isuzu parts:

IMG-3850.jpg

It's a Runabout (hatchback), in the MOST desirable color - "Baby Puke Green."

I am thinking drop in a late 2.0l GM LTG with 300 ft/lbs; this would be fun. Maybe I would get some wider rims and tires.

What say the gallery?

Ah, the early days of good old American economy cars. As I remember they got around 23-25 MPG in stock format. Now we have full size sedans getting 30+ MPG. My first small/economy car was a '78 MG Midget I bought in 1981 it got about 25 MPG and I thought that was great with gas being over $1 a gallon. MG's weren't the most reliable cars on the road but at least I didn't have to worry about getting blown up in the event of a rear end collision.

the later 2.3 was bulletproof. Not fast mind you, but it didn't break.
This one in the picture is begging for a Mustang II 302. Had the right oil pan, as I recall.......

I'm amazed on how well preserved it is; looks like some surface rust but nothing cancerous, at first glance.

Those cars were the counterpoint of the Vegas back in the day; Bob Glidden ran one for a while, stuffed with a lot of cubes (C351 based as I recall).

Last edited:
I saw one in near perfect condition somewhere on a side street in the city. It might have been the Mercury equivalent...

When I was in high school, I had to ride in the back of one of those miserable little things as part of a carpool (with a notoriously cheap neighbor).

So many awful memories of that car.

I‘d rather walk.

My mom had a 1968 or 69 Pinto she kept is the a long time it was a very reliable car. I as a teen drove it often. It was faster than a Vega.

Anyone remember "Elephant Throat" Joe Silver's radio commercial for Pinto wagons?
There's a non-wagon Pinto sitting in a nearby driveway. I should knock on the door and....inquire.

They had an aftermarket front end kit available and they called the finished mod a Pintara I believe as it resembled the Pantera.

It's a shame this one was parted out. The body looks to be in very good shape. Funny that the ignition coil is still there.

I bought a new 1974 hatchback and learned how to drive a stick shift on that car. The only options were the 2.3 liter engine and air conditioning-no radio. I drove it for approximately 150,000 miles (I disconnected the speedometer cable so I could stay within the 12,000 mile warranty) and I had no problems with it at all. I liked that car.

We had a Pinto when I was a kid. I think my parents got it from my Grandmother. Only thing I remember is that it was green. I can't remember the last time I've seen one on the street.

When I was in high school, I had to ride in the back of one of those miserable little things as part of a carpool (with a notoriously cheap neighbor).

So many awful memories of that car.

I‘d rather walk.
My best friend's twin brother was rear ended at a light by a drunk going 40 mph. It didnt "blow up".
the car bent in the middle !

Remember also that the Mustang trunk floor was actually the top of the fuel tank.

Another ford "top loader". FORD has a better Idea.

Criminally UNSAFE - but Better!

My Uncle in the Bronx had a !974 Pinto. He bought it right off the showroom floor. He had the Towing Package [he never towed anything] and A/C. No issues with it. It was a good city car. He sold it to a college kid a few years years later as he wanted a LTD. I drove the Pinto a few times. Ran great and a/c was ice cold.

Back