clear plastic instrument panel cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys clean your instrument cover lens without scratching it , I used to use armor all wipes to clean mine , but over time it would get scratches in it. I need to find a better way.

Gentle swipes with a microfiber towel. Typically my instrument cluster cover lens just has some light dusting on it, so I don't even bother with any cleaning liquid/solution.

I use those "Swifter" wipes. They're very soft and will pick up a ton of dirt.

No cleaning solution.

The best product I've found is "Plexus" which I buy at a motorcycle dealer. Been using it for about 4 years on my instrument covers, plastic headlight and tailight covers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Gentle swipes with a microfiber towel

^^2nd. I also dampen the towel with water first.

I bought a kit for cleaning laptop computer screens at Best Buy, A bottle of solution and a microfiber towel. I don't know whats in it but it works great on instrument clusters and Nav screens. No scratch, No residue, No haze.

Plexus or Meguiars plastic cleaners and polishes. No straight alcohols, ammonia or petro distillates ever.

Plain Pledge is good, if it is still available. Avoid the lemon scented stuff...oils may cloud clear plastic.

Any one of the reputable canopy or motorcycle visor cleaners should be good.

Last edited:
I used a microfiber towel and Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer on my interior yesterday including the instrumental panel. It worked very well,and it didn't scratch at all.

Either laptop screen cleaner or 303 aerospace plastic cleaner with a clean microfiber towel that is only used for windows, not for waxing the car. Never ever use windex that will haze and ruin plastic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Gentle swipes with a microfiber towel

^^2nd. I also dampen the towel with water first.

I checked in with Jerry of Brothers Research (Duragloss) and he suggested their Fast Clean & Shine product, which I had on hand. I used that instead of water in the role suggested (dampening a soft MF). Excellent results, although I am waiting for a closer examination under sunny skies (not until a few more months here in Mich.) until I fully bless the strategy.

So far so good, though.

I didn't read all of the replys so I don't know if this was covered.

IP covers are made of the least scratch resistant plastic on the face of the earth. It's a clear plastic lense and nothing more!
If never touched by human hands, the only thing on the plastic should be nothing more than dust. The minute you touch or try to clean it, it scratches because the mfg never needed to put any protective layering on the plastic. What a shame!

Maybe a "Swiffer Duster" would first remove the dust from the lenses and then, (not dry) but moist micro fiber towel to clean nicely without scratching the surface of the plastic lense.

I have scratched many IP lenses myself and have kicked myself in the butt for trying to clean it. I can't believe how easily they scratch.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Plexus or Meguiars plastic cleaners and polishes. No straight alcohols, ammonia or petro distillates ever.

Plain Pledge is good, if it is still available. Avoid the lemon scented stuff...oils may cloud clear plastic.

Any one of the reputable canopy or motorcycle visor cleaners should be good.

I've been using plexus and lemon pledge for my motorcycle visors and windshields for about a decade. I see almost no difference between the two, and no negative effect on some expensive and valuable (to me) clear plastics.

I find that el-cheapo generic lemon pledge works even better for dead bugs/ plastics overall, because it is the same as pledge, just watered down a little.

Plexus/Pledge/cheapo pledge + good microfiber towel = clean plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back