Cleaning oil mixed with coolant???

My Peugeot 207 decided to implode, it was working fine and then something went really wrong and all the coolant went into the crankcase. Tow it home, drained the crankcase and added new oil to be able to move it into the garage to remove the engine. Surprisingly the engine still has compression and fires in all cylinders.

Now I am in the process of dismantling the whole engine to see what went wrong; hopefully just the head gasket, probably a cracked engine block.

But my question is: How do I clean the emulsified oil and coolant mix from all the internal components?

For example, for the timing chain or other small components I was thinking in two options: 1. wash it directly in diesel fuel or kerosene. Or, 2. Wash it first with water and some strong water soluble degreaser, then submerge it in petrol to displace the leftover water, let it evaporate and then put some oil like WD-40 to protect it from corrosion.

I don't know if this is a sensible approach or not. And what about the dephasers?? or the lifters?? or the chain tensioner?? or the oil pump?? or the vacuum pump???

I have never deal with anything like this and I am feeling a little out of my depth here, so I will really appreciate any help that you can give to me.

Thanks in advance.

But my question is: How do I clean the emulsified oil and coolant mix from all the internal components?

There are numerous good ways that will all achieve the desired results such as the one you listed- its more a matter of what you have readily available and how much time and detail.

Basically a good solvent/parts washer and a blow out is usually what my shop does then a protective coat ( if needed)

Dunking (soaking) works very well just labor and resource heavy

The engine is out of the car, and I started to remove many components, to my surprise turns out that a core plug decided to be free from all restraints and flew like an eagle. Its freedom was short lived until it came to rest on the timing chain and all the coolant went straight into the crankcase. I cleaned with petrol, and put some WD-40. Still debating on removing the oil pan to clean the bottom end

A quick search on the MINI and Citroen forums revealed that this is a very common failure for this engine, Now I am waiting for the new pieces to arrive. Some pictures of the engine.

IMG_20201011_122353.jpgIMG_20201014_190724.jpgIMG_20201014_190737.jpgIMG_20201011_122406.jpgIMG_20201011_122416.jpgIMG_20201011_122412.jpgIMG_20201014_190742.jpgIMG_20201014_190915.jpgIMG_20201014_190932.jpg

Detroit Diesel called for using butyl cellosolve(2-butoxyethanol) with the usual oil to clean up the lubrication circuit in the event of a coolant contamination event.

for the engine oil, engine flush should do the job - it’s basically kerosene or diesel fuel with a little butyl cellosolve. For the cooling system you want a low foaming cleaner. Mercedes used to sell a detergent for this purpose, it was a product of Henkel.

Back