"Cleaned" Intake Valves

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ So you just want to foul your cat and O2 sensors for the fun of it?

This made me laugh out loud. I agree. Nonexistent problems don't need fixing. Any significant DI intake valve deposits I've seen are at/above 50k miles. At 13k miles the valves probably look like the average port injected engine. Yes I know none of my vehicles are DI but I read up on the issues because one day I'll probably own a DI engine.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Smoke doesn't prove anything. You need before and after pics of the so called deposits.

Definitely. Also, there is no way to *prevent* intake valve buildup on any engine that has meaningful mileage. And about performing this cleaning on such a young engine, I would love to see pre/post tests for emissions and fuel economy. I would bet the benefits are slim to none.

Finally: short-tripping = severe service, but I call it borderline abusive *IF* you don't hit full temp and get some throttle romping on a regular basis. Granny driving all the time will kill an engine early.

Good thing about Subarus is the ULEV (or is it "partial zero emissions" catalytic converters are covered for something like 10yrs/120K miles. It used to be only in some States though. If they were to sour early due to these cleaning products, who would know.

Back