Clean that Condensor !

Just thought I'd pass this on.

I have an old 99 Dodge Caravan [ I know, don't laugh] and the AC was giving a bit of problem. The high side pressure was relatively high while the low side was low and the vent temperature was wavering in the 50F range. I first added a little refrigerant but only the high side pressures increased. I thought I had a restriction somewhere but as a last resort I did a minor cleaning of the condenser. Big improvement, I haven't checked the pressures yet and I probably won't as the vent temperatures dropped to the 40F range.

The condenser [original] was dark grimy in colour but it had no bugs stuck in it and very few if any bent fins. A flash light shone through it quite well so I originally didn't suspect it was the problem. I simply took a spray bottle, loaded it with warm water and about %20 dish detergent and sprayed it as best I could through the grill without removing any bumper/grill parts. I let it soak 5 minutes and repeated process. After waiting another 10 minutes I hosed it off, being careful not to bend any of the aluminum fins. The condenser doesn't really look much cleaner but shazam....success!

Recommend this maintenance if you live in a hot climate.

Originally Posted by mikered30
Yep, works wonders, Eric the car guy did pressure readings pre and post condenser cleaning and showed a noticeable decrease in pressure, although his condenser may have been wet when he did the post readings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_em9lm69HQ

The same exact guy and video I thought of immediately when I saw this post!
thumbsup2.gif
I'm thinking about doing it to my truck.
cool.gif

OP - Good idea, especially since you say it looked good visually.

I would imagine this will also work on Radiators & Transmission Coolers as yearly PM.
I always try flushing from the 'back to front' to more easily dislodge anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Yep, works wonders, Eric the car guy did pressure readings pre and post condenser cleaning and showed a noticeable decrease in pressure, although his condenser may have been wet when he did the post readings.

thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Make a bug screen out of window screening,a few grommets, clamps and ty-raps and that problem can be avoided.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Make a bug screen out of window screening,a few grommets, clamps and ty-raps and that problem can be avoided.

I've done that in the past, but not with this vehicle, and not something that 98% of the population is going to do. In Eric's video, the vehicle he was working on had no visible signs of issue with the condenser, but he washed it out anyway. The before/after results were significant in the temperature blowing out the vents, and all that was done was clean the condenser.

If you ride a motorcycle and happen to have some S100 cleaner on hand, that works quite well for cleaning grime out of condensers, etc. Spray on, let it sit a few minutes, and hose off.

I've done that in the past, but not with this vehicle, and not something that 98% of the population is going to do. In Eric's video, the vehicle he was working on had no visible signs of issue with the condenser, but he washed it out anyway. The before/after results were significant in the temperature blowing out the vents, and all that was done was clean the condenser.

Vent temp did not change after cleaning but high side pressure did decrease substantially. However, I wonder if Eric let the condenser dry before checking the pressure? Wetting a condenser will make a big impact on overall heat transfer coefficient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by artbuc

Vent temp did not change after cleaning but high side pressure did decrease substantially.

My bad, going from memory, thought the vent temp went down as well as system pressure.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Just cleaned the Radiators for the Coolant and Transmission Fluid.
They needed it.
[Linked Image]

Wow. Did you get behind them with a hose?
Use anything to soften up the gunk?

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
I've been using Virginia Alki-Foam Condenser Coil Cleaner for quite some time now. I bought quite a stash of the stuff, and use it every 6 months. It works wonders in 1:1 concentration!

Interesting. I have used Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam cleaner for years on my home AC condenser and also my cars. It is an alkali cleaner as well. Love the stuff for everything from carpets, headliners, floor mats, etc. Works great. Although different formulas, their pH is almost the same.

Back