Clarification? - Air Filter test results "based on" a differnt filter?

I'm shopping for a new air filter for my 2019 Tacoma with the V-6 engine.

I've e-mailed several manufacturers (Denso, Fram, Wix, Hastings, etc.) and asked them, "Do you perform any ISO 5011 testing on your air filters? I'm specifically interested in any test data you have in regards to the PART NUMBER: xyz air filter.

Fram said, "Fram: ISO 12103-1 A4 coarse test (ISO 5011) - I show CA11895 to be 97.97% efficient using this testing."

I contacted Wix directly and they replied, "We do test our filters. However the test data we have is proprietary and is not shared. All of our filters will meet original equipment testing specifications."

To my surprise, I was surfing the NAPA Auto Parts website and found this filter (which says it's made by Wix) - https://napaau.to/38kn5q8 (Part #: FIL 200085) which says, " Air Filter Laboratory Tests Per ISO 5011 At Least 99.5% Efficiency (Based On NAPA # 2389)"

*I* think that's pretty efficient, which really appeals to me, but what does the comment ..."Based On NAPA # 2389"... mean, as it relates to the filter I'm interested in?

Thank you!

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
*I* think that's pretty efficient, which really appeals to me, but what does the comment ..."Based On NAPA # 2389"... mean, as it relates to the filter I'm interested in?

It means they used that model air filter to do the efficiency test. Efficiency teasing is expensive, so they are not going to conduct the test for all the models. With air and oil filters, it could be possible for the size (ie, area of the media) to effect the efficiency slightly.

If WIX (for NAPA) was logical, the 2389 filter would be in the mid-sized range of their filter line. Sometimes a manufacture will test 2 or 3 different sized filters and then average the results. Fram does that with their oil filters.

Thank you!

So while the efficiency *might* be off slightly, I'm guessing the filter I'm interested in is still really, really efficient...wouldn't you think?

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Thank you!

So while the efficiency *might* be off slightly, I'm guessing the filter I'm interested in is still really, really efficient...wouldn't you think?

Ed

Yes

Yes. And they probably use the same filter media on all filters in that line, so it would apply to any part number.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Yes. And they probably use the same filter media on all filters in that line, so it would apply to any part number.

Not perfectly, because the size of the filter, which corresponds to the total filtering area, can influence the efficiency a bit due to how the load up rate and delta-p progresses over the test period.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... Not perfectly, because the size of the filter, which corresponds to the total filtering area, can influence the efficiency a bit due to how the load up rate and delta-p progresses over the test period.
That will also depend on how the flow rate during the test is adjusted to the filter size---if it is..

Back