Citgo Transgard ATF+4 seems quite different from other ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo Oil Guys.

I recently did a siphon/fill of my daughter's car power steering as noted here: post on bitog

That got me thinking about next year when I do this to her car again. So I did some research on Chrysler ATF+4 certified brands.

I found that most were basically the same except for Citgo Transgard ATF+4. For some reason, according to their product data sheet, it is nearly on par with Redline C+, particularly for the pour point. I know pour point is not the ultimate factor, but, it is a good consideration. I live in Minnesota and the depth of winter can see some mighty cold temps. And I have heard it said that ATF+4 is a tight spec.

What do you guys think? is this Citgo ATF+4 better than most of the others?

Appreciated.

cvlw

Citgo Transgard ATF+4 shows a Pour Point of -70f/-57c
Redline C+ shows a pour point of -76f/-60c
Valvoline ATF+4 shows a pour point of -54f/-48c (I used this in my daughter's car)

Citgo ATF+4 PDS
Valvoline ATF+4 PDS
Redline C+ PDS

Originally Posted by cvlw

...cvlw

Citgo Transgard ATF+4 shows a Pour Point of -70f/-57c
Redline C+ shows a pour point of -76f/-60c
Valvoline ATF+4 shows a pour point of -54f/-48c (I used this in my daughter's car)

What are the Brookfield viscosity values between the various ATF fluids you've looked at?

I had to do some research to try and understand the Brookfield.

citgo: 9000 cP at -40C / 2050 cP at -28.9C
valvoline: 9000 cP at -40C / {no info on higher temp}
Redline: 38 at -40C {what does 38 mean here?}

The Citgo and Valvoline have the same cP at -40C. I don't, yet, understand the number for Redline. Since -40C is already soul-cringing cold, at best both fluids are the same and my question is answered. At worst, there is maybe a petty difference if graphed out across a range of temps leaving nothing but nitpicking.

The fact that ATF+4 is a tight spec seems to hold true. I saw other bitog comments that Redline C+ is really a "boutique" vs any other ATF+4 and those seem to hold true as well.

Brookfield very generally measures fluid resistance to flow and a lower number indicates that it is LESS resistant to flow. So,I guess this measurement is more aligned with "will it pump?" versus "will it dump (out of the bottle)?".

Thanks.

cvlw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back