Chrysler Town and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
We loved the previa my parents had, and it served them until 250k and a hurricane took it out.

Now we are thinking about a van. Optimally in a couple years, when the next-gen come out... Maybe something used in the meantime to hold us over.

We recently had a rental T&C. I have to say, I really liked it.

I couldnt see any belts, but it looks like a lot of space under the hood.

888EC0A4-A291-4DF0-AF08-C9D6BD59E4E2_zps3ng3ghq9.jpg

I like the info you can pull as well.

EB74496A-9BDB-4E5E-845B-A8ABB605182D_zpsvpxcklln.jpg

057C02A3-2A54-40B5-9B97-18B69481D486_zps5pijxwvn.jpg

29A70329-4C5B-440C-BE09-B77F3EA9DBCE_zpstfiupp0o.jpg

The van had around 16k. I did notice that the first gear clunks going out of first and downshifting back into first. Otherwise a nice, quiet and smooth driver.

25 MPG EPA rating, but with six people in the van, we averaged 23 MPG with mostly interstate. Despite a pentastar V6, both filled and empty, it felt no more powerful during normal driving and merging than the 4-cyl previa. I think the previa handled a little better at speed too.

That said, there are no more Previas, and despite those nitpicks, our opinion was very positive. Seats felt good, lots of space, lots of good ideas.

So, who owns these and what are your opinions? Im no toyota/honda snob, but they seem to be the gold standards. For a van, which is a van, a utilitarian item that is not a sports car and not a prove my gender billboard... It seems to be more than suitable, and seems to also be MUCH cheaper.

And people seem to love the pentastar... Not so sure of the 6-speed, but as I understand it, soon there will be an 8-9 speed for these.

So, what are your opinions? Issues with late model vans?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
... Despite a pentastar V6, both filled and empty, it felt no more powerful during normal driving and merging than the 4-cyl previa. I think the previa handled a little better at speed too.

Weren't Most of the Previa's Sold in North America Supercharged?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
... Despite a pentastar V6, both filled and empty, it felt no more powerful during normal driving and merging than the 4-cyl previa. I think the previa handled a little better at speed too.

many were.the accessories were driven by a driveshaft off the crankshafts harmonic balancer

People complain and moan about American cars until they actually drive one.

'Twas a time when domestic iron was substandard, but it ain't so no more. And, unlike the goofy egg like previa..sounds like a medical condition that afflicts mostly men, doesn't it?...American cars have style these days.

Buy it and enjoy. If not, the japanese will only be too happy to welcome you back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
87 psi at 1000 rpm in park? Kinda calls the validity of the other readouts into question..

It was a cold start picture. (Note the analog temp gauge on the left) The other shots were taken 70 miles down the road when it was a little more warmed up.

This is the van to buy used. We are looking waiting for the cream puff to come around. I found some no kids older folks ones in incredible shape but we still held off. We have 3 kids and candidates for sure for one of these now.

They are nice vans with incredible depreciation. Don't be sucker for new on these ones for sure. Some of them though seem more clunky at 50k mark we found vs Honda/Toyota equivalents but the used price builds in thousands for maintenance/repairs.

Two co-workers have/had brand new Grand Caravans, one has already traded his off, the other is in the process of doing the same. Both were disappointed with the repairs required early in the vehicles' life and had low confidence for the future.

Another co-worker bought a used Honda Odyssey and commutes daily 55 minutes each way, it now has well over 300,000 on it and has required very little work, but he does maintain it properly.

I briefly had a 2000 a couple years back. Something was up in the computer (I blame low lead solder and or bulgy capacitors) and the OBDII port was useless, eg would not connect to any scan tool. Dealer would not look at it. A junkyard computer ran but wasn't VIN-tied to the rest of the system and I think it was complaining, though it couldn't tell me.

They switched to an internal CANBus style network shortly thereafter and my understanding is if any module goes haywire it takes the whole system down.

I suppose a new one would be dandy but I wouldn't want to chase end-of-life gremlins. But who's to say a 2015 would be the same as 2000? Better, worse?

I have a 2008 T&C with 96k on it. Bought it with 68K a little less than 2 years ago. So far I really like it.

The biggest issue I have is with the brakes (I guess they re-engineered them after 2008)

I also need new rear shocks, which is to be expected on a 100k vehicle.

The two cheap plastic clips that hold down the top of the air cleaner are also broken, which is annoying, but also an easy fix for me.
I know these end-of-daimler-era chryslers have some issues, but I've been lucky so far.

I'd buy a more recent one without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Olas
87 psi at 1000 rpm in park? Kinda calls the validity of the other readouts into question..

It was a cold start picture. (Note the analog temp gauge on the left) The other shots were taken 70 miles down the road when it was a little more warmed up.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Ours sure wasn't...

Originally Posted By: rjundi
This is the van to buy used. We are looking waiting for the cream puff to come around. I found some no kids older folks ones in incredible shape but we still held off. We have 3 kids and candidates for sure for one of these now.

They are nice vans with incredible depreciation. Don't be sucker for new on these ones for sure. Some of them though seem more clunky at 50k mark we found vs Honda/Toyota equivalents but the used price builds in thousands for maintenance/repairs.

Totally correct. With the steep depreciation rate on this make, used really is the only financially viable option. If one desires new, look for a new '14 and aim for used book for pricing.

You can look also at the Kia Sedona, new gen this year.

It is not as expensive as the toyota/honda, and could be more reliable the american counterparts?

I am not a Van guy, but we "had" to have one, so we leased an Honda Odyssey in 2007-2008... and we loved it.
That is definitively a great buy, really strong in all weathers with great fuel economy.

JHZ- We've got a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Bought it new in August 2013 for ~$20K plus tax. The "SE" is one click above the most basic "America's Value Package" model, thus the relatively low price.

We are at 21K miles and have only had one issue so far, a leaking power steering pump that required replacement.

Like you say, they're pretty tidy under the hood. You do have to pop the top off the engine air cleaner housing to better access the oil filter canister. The plastic engine cover lifts right off.

Chrysler did some nice things to these vans for 2012+, MUCH better brakes all the way around than
With 4 young children and the constant shuttling associated with that, our van takes a beating and has held-up well so far.

I find the Pentastar and 62TE trans to be absolutely awesome. That must have been one powerful 4 banger in that Toyota to feel the same as a Pentastar IMO. We average ~20mpg tank/tank for typical daily use. It will easily add 3-5mpg for steady highway travel.

I personally would never pay big bucks for one of these vans due to sketchy resale, typical so-so Chrysler interior and the fact you can buy one new for as 'little' as ~$18K. I'd either buy a more basic new one, or a used loaded-up one.

It certainly wasn't powerful. Just like a lot lighter. And I'm sure if I floored the Chrysler, it would accelerate much stronger. I guess the thing that gets me is driving with a Lightfoot it really downshifts and upshift quite a bit as if it doesn't have enough to stay in gear. And again as I said it's pretty darn heavy. We would get 23 mpg all day long in the Previa.

A new end of your discount is what I would probably be looking for. This year or next year or some other time. I don't like the idea of some imbecile driving a vehicle that I planned on for a long time even if it was only for a few thousand miles. That is unless I get a substantial discount to a new vehicle were purposely am looking for a very used model very cheap.

OP, you guys still have the Rabbit? If so, how's it running? Any significant repairs needed? how would you rate it overall

we were seriously considering one last year, but the 5k premium over an 07-08 Focus was pretty daunting. As a result we chose the Focus. While it's nice for saving $, I'm not a fan of the road noise. And the terrible electrics always have me waiting for the next failure

Rabbit has been flawless. No issues, runs great and consistent since day one. If I had to nitpick anything, it is some of the interior materials...

=The carpets have a different nap than our other euro cars, and tend to hold a bit more dirt, and are tougher to vacuum as a result.
=The steering wheel in one place has started to degrade slightly. It is a plastic wheel.

Otherwise it is great, very utilitarian vehicle, and weve been happy. I have rented some very recent focus and on the highway they are quiet and wonderful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back