Chrysler Recalling 40,000 Vehicles for Defective I

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2010, 7:30 am
Chrysler Recalling 40,000 Vehicles for Defective Ignition
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN

8:35 a.m. | Updated

Chrysler is recalling about 40,000 of its 2010 models because a defective ignition switch could allow the key to be removed from the ignition without the automatic transmission being in park.

The vehicles cited in the recall are the 2010 Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Ram.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the defective ignition could lead to “unintended vehicle movement,” which, in turn, “could increase the risk of a crash.”

In other action:

• Nissan is recalling 113 of its 2010 Altimas because of inadequate welds, some of which may involve the vehicle’s body and “have an effect on vehicle crash performance,” the automaker told the safety agency. Nissan said it learned of the problem during a routine inspection at its assembly plant in Canton, Miss.

• Subaru is recalling about 29,000 of its new 2010 Legacy sedans and Outback wagons to fix a leaking cooler hose on the continuously variable transmission.

• Chrysler is recalling about 130 of its 2010 Dodge Calibers because an incorrect part could allow an unlocked door (front, passenger side) to open when the window is lowered, the automaker said.

• The safety agency has also started an investigation into two reports of fires in the dashboards of 2008 school buses. They are rear engine models produced by Thomas Built Buses of High Point, N.C. The investigation covers about 2,500 vehicles.

The company has had several recalls involving electrical problems raising concerns about fire or stalling.

In 2007 the manufacturer recalled about 33,000 2001-8 school buses because of possible dashboard fires. The recall resulted from a N.H.T.S.A. investigation into complaints from a fleet operator that bus “interiors filled with smoke, certain electrical devices became inoperative and the buses stalled.”

In 2008 about 17,000 2003-9 buses were recalled because of an electrical problem, which could have resulted in a vehicle stalling.

Funny. My stick shift lets me take the keys out whenever.

They don't mention if the interlock still works that keeps one from getting it out of park when the keys are out. (And what of the e-brake?)

tenderloin -- re: the threads that you started.
ford ceo says 2010 ... 6 replies of 182 views.
chrysler recalling 40,000 ... 1 and 238 views.
suburu recall... 3 and 142 views.
hertz to offer nissan leaf... 4 and 126 views.
it appears that the members have grown weary of these types of threads, as many turn to some degree of product bashing.it's about time. have a good day.

Originally Posted By: yeti
tenderloin -- re: the threads that you started.
ford ceo says 2010 ... 6 replies of 182 views.
chrysler recalling 40,000 ... 1 and 238 views.
suburu recall... 3 and 142 views.
hertz to offer nissan leaf... 4 and 126 views.
it appears that the members have grown weary of these types of threads, as many turn to some degree of product bashing.it's about time. have a good day.

He posts automotive news articles he comes across. So what?

jonnyz -- i didn't say that there was anything wrong with him posting these things.geeez.the good thing is that there is no bickering b.s. going on.and that's good.5 replies, of 293 views, including ours. what does that say? the board is mellowing out.
the cb radio response is good.relax, man, and have a good night.

This is an old problem for Chrysler. My friend's old 1994 Town and Country had the same problem. He'd start it, then take the key out and put it in a cupholder, put the van into D, and off we'd go. When he wanted to stop the engine he'd turn the ignition off, with or without the key in there. He drove it like that for years.

Not bashing, just relating a personal experience with the problem.

The ignition key fell out of my ignition in my 02 Jeep when it was just a few weeks old.

I'm driving along and I felt something hit my leg but didn't pay much attention to it. Later when I went to turn the Jeep off I couldn't because the keys were on the floor.

I kinda like it now. I can start it, lock the doors and let the heater warm up or the AC cool it down plus I dont have to listen to the keys rattling when driving.

No they seem to have a recall or investigation opened each day, we would constipate the forum if every Toy issue lately was posted on here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back