Chrysler Minivan's Oil Filter Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have a question and a complaint. First, the complaint:

Last night I changed the oil & filter on my father's vehicle (2003 Chrysler T&C) and my neighbor's vehicle (2005 Chrysler T&C). Both vehicle's filters and oil drain bolts were tighten so **** tight, it took two of us to get them off. I know the shops where the vehicles had their last oil change. One of the drain bolts was in there so tight, I'm worried that the threads on the pan are striped cause when I tried to screw it back in, I didn't feel that nice smooth motion that you usually get. What the heck are they teaching these service guys nowadays? Anyway, enough complaining...

Question: If you are familiar with the latest rendition of the Chrysler series of minivans, you'll know that the 3.3L and the 3.8L engines' oil filters point straight up and are about a foot or less behind the front airdam. My concern is that this doesn't seem like much protection from road debris. Has anyone heard anything about this being a problem? I just this that any 'ole rock at the right angle it going to have a direct line of attack on the filter. In my wife's 2000 Chrysler T&C, the oil filter is tucked up ther aways. The only way something would be able to hit it would be off of a double ricochet. The odds of that happening are low, and even if it did, most of the energy of the rock would have been absorbed by other parts.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

If you are going to keep changing the oil in these vehicles, you might put a drain valve on that one where you are concerned about the threads... that way you won't have to stress them further buy taking the plug on & off regularly.

I would think that the odds of a rock precisely hitting the filter hard enough to cause a leak would be pretty low unless they drive on gravel roads following other vehicles closely.

I was concerned about the road debris thing too (05 G.C.) I have been using the WIX filter which seems to be built well and I bet it could take a good size rock and be okay, I have been considering using one of the oversize filters (ST8?) but haven't as of yet.

I had a 97 Dodge GC and now have a 04 both with the 3.8 the placement of the filter hasn't changed but the new design for the break away motor makes it sit a little lower. Still don't think the chances are very likely that it would occur.

Not only am I not worried, I stuck the longer filter on there.
smile.gif
I know it looks to be in the open, but it really is not that bad.

My parents had a 1994 Grand Caravan which I changed the oil on as a teenager (or it wouldn't have been done) and the filter was the same way.....out there ready to be hit. 105k miles and no worries.

I talked to many other family & friends about their late model Chrysler minivans and none of them have reported any problems (not that all of them would know what to look for; except for a giant puddle of oil under the vehicle or a seized engine).

I'm assuming that Chysler knew what they were doing. I guess that the airdam protects the filter enough not to worry about it. I wanted to put a larger filter on there. Maybe I could use an ecore designed larger filter since it won't be the same length as a conventional steel center tube filter.

I posted on here a few months back where the filter on my 95 Voyager was struck by some debris and eventually started to leak. But in retrospect i think it was just a fluke -in 165,000 miles of driving it.

The tight oil plug is very very common. I guess their logic is that it won't come loose. Pure ignorance at it's worst.

It's easy to change but once you unscrew that filter oil starts dribbling down all over the filter and your arm. I do like the fact you can pre-fill the oil filter and install it easily (faces up).

I bought my wife an 05 Grand Caravan and we haven't had any problems at all. I actually love the fact that the filter is so easy to get to and I make no mess at all when changing it because on my previous truck an 01 Toyota Tacoma and now on my 06 F-150, the filters are a real pain to get to.

quote:

Originally posted by Buick92:
...oil starts dribbling down all over the filter and your arm.

Put your drainpan under the filter and then drill a hole in the bottom of the filter, keeping the drill at a 45 degree angle (to keep the oil from dripping on you). You might get a little oil on your drill, but that's easier to clean than your arm and the garage floor.

BTW: It's what I do with the Ranger.

quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar:

quote:

Originally posted by Buick92:
...oil starts dribbling down all over the filter and your arm.

Put your drainpan under the filter and then drill a hole in the bottom of the filter, keeping the drill at a 45 degree angle (to keep the oil from dripping on you). You might get a little oil on your drill, but that's easier to clean than your arm and the garage floor.

BTW: It's what I do with the Ranger.

A great, simple idea. Thanks MC.

Why not just take an awl or similarly sharp tool and just puncture the canister?

Maybe one high and one low so the high spot can act as a vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back