Chrysler eyes return to NASCAR racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiat 500 POP
laugh.gif

Overall true Bdcardinal. One thing I believe to be true is that in the 80s and 90s when on average 6-12 cars finished on the lead lap it seemed a bit more real than today's NASCAR. The wave around rule, lucky dog and dubious caution flags make it feel less legitimate. Having 20-28 cars on the lead lap at many races just hasn't felt right for a long time now. IF and i mean IF a race runs green long enough then there are only 8-10 cars on the lead lap. I've seen this at Michigan, Dover and Charlotte especially. But that doesn't seem to happen a whole lot in the last 15 yrs or so. I've also read comments on many of the 80s and 90s NASCAR races where people don't like the green, white checker or overtime either. Plus many people really don't like the chase format at all.

Which has got me thinking that what NASCAR needs to do to reinvigorate their sport.
1) Eliminate the chase
2) Eliminate the green, white, checker finishes
3) Eliminate the lucky dog and wave around rule
4) Actually race at tracks like North Wilksboro, Hickory NC, IRP, Winchester VA etc
5) Get rid of races at Dover, Chicago, Kentucky, Indianapolis. These races are horribly attended and are embarrassing to see how empty they are anyway...
6) Actually ALLOW camping in the infeilds at the tracks that can fit people in them.. Go back and watch old races in the 80s and 90s at Atlanta, Charlotte even North Wilksboro... There were MANY regular everyday people camping out in the infields at those tracks. WAY cheaper than staying at a hotel. You don't see this phenomenon hardly anymore at tracks like Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago etc etc... Anyone wonder why attendance is down?? Lodging for 2 nights on a race weekend is expensive. So much so that many people don't want to pay $200 plus a night for it. The 1992 final race at Atlanta really surprised me with just how MANY people were camped out in the infield. Just go back and watch that on you tube. Where did NASCAR lose its way?? Getting rid of races at places like North Wilksboro, Rockingham and replacing them with races in Chicago, California and Las Vegas. All mile and a half tracks with almost the exact same layout. By not allowing people the ability to camp inside the track at a number of different tracks.

I believe strongly if NASCAR went back to the smaller tracks, allowed regular real everyday people the ability to camp inside of the tracks like they used to and got back to the basic rules, stopped having stupid caution flags that are dubious, stopped the foolishness of green, white checker finishes and the carnage that they bring and got back to a real season long Championship then this would help bring more people back into the tracks. It's about this... Getting back to basics.

Last edited:
You would think they, (NASCAR), would have immediately revised a "system" that allowed a driver (Kyle Busch), to miss a total of 11 races. Then turn around and be able to win the Championship. By comparison, if Nico Rosberg would have missed just 1 race, or even finished last in it, he would have lost the Formula 1 World Driving Championship to Lewis Hamilton.

Hit the nail directly on the head.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
NASCAR is apparently run by the WWE. Seems totally rigged to me...

WWE is rigged? No way!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Does Sergio Marchionne have enough time to micromanage a NASCAR entry like he does Scuderia Ferrari? He seems to have a lot of time on his hands for someone with so many hats.
I hope they have the dough to run a team after paying the EPA fines.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Hit the nail directly on the head.

Perhaps they could clone ONE driver for all the teams. They've got a lot of fans disguised as seats.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I hope they have the dough to run a team after paying the EPA fines.

Oh, they will be able to do it financially one way or another. But, he will complain about it loudly to anyone who will listen. He has enough time on his hands to do that, too. He does enjoy a negatively toned interview.

There is no fixing NASCAR. It became all about the money and advertising. Something maybe could have been done 25 years ago, but not today.

It's a total TV sport that has gone way too far off into the clouds to ever come back.

Don't be too pessimistic. I agree that it doesn't look rosy, but you can never guess what happens when ratings decline to a certain point.

TV sport - I like that, and it's true. Ironically, the ovals were set up to allow a maximum audience in actual attendance to see the entire race. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back