chrysler 2.7 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am getting a gift from my Grandfather. A 1998 chrsyler concorde with infamous sludge making 2.7 liter. The car has only 51k very well maintaing 3k mile dino oil changes. I am driving it 1500 miles home. What would you do to car for this car? auto rx, synthetic oil. What is the best cleaning synthetic oil to keep this engine clean. any advise appreciated.

98 was the first year of the LH body Chryslers (I own a 99 300M) and while these are basically reliable cars, the first year production models (and to some extent 2nd year, too) did have some teething problems. These may have already been "worked out" by your grandfather. If not, you can expect to eventually have problems with the input and output sensors on the transmission, the electric window motors, the AC evaporator, and the radiator cooling fan motors.

As for the 2.7, I'd do a two-dose Auto-Rx treatment and then use Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 with 5000 mile change intervals.

G Man 2,
Being under an extended warranty, should I have chrsyler check out the problems you stated before I take the car home. I wonder how they would check transmission sensors.

quote:

Originally posted by jessealan:
G Man 2,
Being under an extended warranty, should I have chrsyler check out the problems you stated before I take the car home. I wonder how they would check transmission sensors.

There is really no way to test the transmission sensors. When they go, they just go, and the transmission goes into "limp mode," i.e., it locks itself in 2nd gear and won't shift up or down. If the speedometer also quits working, you know it's the output sensor that has gone bad, but the input sensor should be replaced too, since it will no doubt go out eventually. (These are not expensive parts, and I keep a spare input and output sensor in the trunk of my car since mine haven't gone out yet and I'm approaching 60,000 miles.)

You can get them to do a thorough check of the AC system for leaks, focusing on the evaporator under the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back