“Christmas Star”(Jupiter and Saturn)

I managed to get a picture with my iPhone 11 of it. It is moving fast. It looks to the naked eye that they are separate. The phone makes it look way bigger and brighter than it it.
3E20C663-B565-460A-8F9C-92B087A33185.jpeg

F808F5B9-F2FB-4F7D-ABEF-0F5B46F96D06.jpeg

It is just off the tip of the tree in the second one.

My wife went out the door to the east to see it. I knew what she was looking for as soon as she did it. I had forgotten. Went out the west door and looked south west and saw it right off. We are north east of town and usually the south west sky is washed out at night. I had to get my phone app of the sky to make sure it was it.

Sister-in-law took this with her cell phone. You will still be able to see it for the rest of the month, about an hour after nightfall except it won’t be as close with each passing day.
Here is a cool simulation...
original.gif

4B00AD62-7C02-40A7-8978-76F059E6F0FA.jpeg
1FE57B08-515B-4000-B634-AE34306DDBEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting.

This summer, Jupiter and Saturn were bright and relatively close. With a cheap 100x amazon scope, you can make out Saturn’s rings and the stripes on Jupiter (plus it’s moons), granted it’s all very small. It struck me the other night thst they are a lot closer together than they were in the summer...

Mars was also a great show in the late summer/early fall.. very bright.

There was an opening in the clouds about half an hour after sunset this evening. I did not see Jupiter and Saturn all that closely aligned. I got a very good look with my binoculars. The photo is just evidence.

Back