Choosing a Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would carry two. Too often cards get hacked and then you have none. My brother had one hacked right after his job required him to be a couple thousand miles from home for a couple months. I don't like using my bank credit/debit card for anything other than the ATM machine at the bank, and even then I have second thoughts.

Originally Posted by Donald
Citi has one that pays 1% when you buy and another 1% when you pay the credit card bill.

I avoid ones that have certain categories for a month or quarter and then change.

Credit Union card card?

That same card (I have it) has now upgraded and has some 3% attributes now. I use the 3% for fuel. Go Citi!!!!

I carry 3 and pay them off every month. For all those purchases that do not go over 1%, I use USAA Visa. They are 1% across the board on ANYTHING. I then use Bank of America MC for groceries, gas and some other stuff as they can go up to 3% at certain places, I did the homework. I also use, up to a certain amount, Discovery travel or destination (card that is suited for gas but only so much per quarter) that gives almost 4% back on gas purchases. The wife and I use these cards for everything and pay off at the end of the month. We both average about 20K miles a year so getting a good cash back on gas was important.

I'm suprised nobody has suggested the GM Mastercard. 5% per year credit on charges up to $10k. Basically $500 per year credit for up to 7 years ($3500) that you can use as cash on a GM purchase. Of course it's worthless if you or someone you are close to doesn't buy GMs.
I also use Discover on the rotated 5% categories and on online purchases. They handle fraud and disputes very well. The GM card was horrible for that when it was an HSBC product, but now that Capital One owns the card I've had great service.

Discover cannot be a standalone card as their cashback has dropped to under 1% when outside of the 5% catagories.

o.p. should use this shopping expedition for a new credit card to find a credit union, which offers cards as well as better/cheaper checking and loan accounts than most banks.

I use these three

1. Citibank- 2% cash back on everything you buy every day of the year, it can not be beat.

2. Discover Card- 1% on everything but rotating 5% categories all year. For example, this summer I get 5% cash backevery restaurant bill for 3 months.

3. This is a 3rd choice I have, even though I HATE Chase - Chase now has the same time of rotation as Discover with 5% categories. Wight Chase though, they make it sound bigger then it is by using the words points instead of cash. Insults my intelligence but other people? Well that it why they do it... :eek:)

There are no fee's for any of the above, who ever pays a fee? Never in my life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
I would carry two. Too often cards get hacked and then you have none. My brother had one hacked right after his job required him to be a couple thousand miles from home for a couple months. I don't like using my bank credit/debit card for anything other than the ATM machine at the bank, and even then I have second thoughts.

Who cares?????
My cards get hacked many times over the years, that is the credit card company problem not yours. As soon as it gets hacked, they send you a new one, could not be more simple its the best way to carry ANY form of payment. You cant lose anything.

and if you use a debit card, well that is your problem then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Who cares?????
My cards get hacked many times over the years, that is the credit card company problem not yours. As soon as it gets hacked, they send you a new one, could not be more simple its the best way to carry ANY form of payment. You cant lose anything.

I get that. But what do you do until you get the new card? And what if you are away from home for the duration? What then?

I don't plan to use it, well ever. Thought I made that clear.
21.gif

Two is one, and one is none. Not sure where that quote is but it was one that stuck out to me from the Bourne series.

I didn't see Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature mentioned. Pays 4.25% back on gas, 2.55% back on groceries. One caveat, for cash back it pays in Visa CC with $50 the lowest increment, so depending on use takes time to accumulate. Neither has bothered me. Depending on quarterly categories rotate it with Discover IT and Chase Freedom card. No fees for any of them, Chase Freedom and PenFed have cash back paid for opening an account and spending a set amount in first ~3 months.

Not a Costco member, but if a member based on info would seem their card make sense as a choice.

I have come to expect just that from rewards cards. I don't think I have one that doesn't have that as the lowest increment for a payoff--I guess there are some that will let you cash in lower amounts? That's nice.

As far as Costco goes, if you can get over paying 50 or so bucks a year to set foot in the place, and buy gas, you do more than make it up (4% off the lowest price in town for the highest quality gas is a nice reward) if you shop there. But for years, I refused to pay anyone money to get my business. Then, I turned to the dark side, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I didn't see Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature mentioned. Pays 4.25% back on gas, 2.55% back on groceries. One caveat, for cash back it pays in Visa CC with $50 the lowest increment, so depending on use takes time to accumulate. Neither has bothered me. Depending on quarterly categories rotate it with Discover IT and Chase Freedom card. No fees for any of them, Chase Freedom and PenFed have cash back paid for opening an account and spending a set amount in first ~3 months.

Not a Costco member, but if a member based on info would seem their card make sense as a choice.

Who cares?????

I get that. But what do you do until you get the new card? And what if you are away from home for the duration? What then?

21.gif

Two is one, and one is none. Not sure where that quote is but it was one that stuck out to me from the Bourne series.

Yeah, I always have a few credit cards. I like to use two actively, one I use for all my monthly charges and the other one for daily charges. If you lose one or it gets hacked, you always have the 2nd one. Strangely both of them are Fidelity cards. I don't like the other cards that send you checks when you hit a certain level. I just like to transfer the points when I have time to my account, no checks to deposit or expire after a time.

Originally Posted by jstert
o.p. should use this shopping expedition for a new credit card to find a credit union, which offers cards as well as better/cheaper checking and loan accounts than most banks.

My bank is actually Arizona Federal Credit Union

Who cares?????

21.gif

I honestly do not know of anyone who only has one credit card. So its quite simple, carry two or three.

With that said though, Your question still doesnt make sense to me. What other option to you have? none, you can lose cash, you can get a credit card hacked, its all the same, so doesnt make sense to ask "what if you are away from home" that goes for anything.

Your far more protected having a couple credit cards then ANY form of payment on planet earth.

Debit cards? now that is scary, much more liability of losing all your money for an extended period of time if your debit card is hacked, you then have to prove it wasnt you who withdrew cash. Credit cards your protected 100%, debit cards are not and if you dont have a credit card and lose your cash while "away from home" you are really out of luck.
So I dont understand your question :eek:)

Last edited:
I think we are talking past each other. I said to make sure to get two (if not explicitly then implicitly). Most of us have bank accounts and get a debit card as a result (implied again): actually I'm not sure if you can have a credit card without a bank account. Therefore, without two credit cards, when the CC is hacked, the natural temptation might be to use the debit as a credit card (which some can be used as) to get by until the new card comes in the mail. 'cept I find that scary as all get out.

Ergo, get two cards.

I think we are talking past each other. I said to make sure to get two (if not explicitly then implicitly). Most of us have bank accounts and get a debit card as a result (implied again): actually I'm not sure if you can have a credit card without a bank account. Therefore, without two credit cards, when the CC is hacked, the natural temptation might be to use the debit as a credit card (which some can be used as) to get by until the new card comes in the mail. 'cept I find that scary as all get out.

Ergo, get two cards.

Ah... yes, get two credit cards separate with NO bank account attached like a debit card is.

ONLY thing I ever use my debit card for is cash from ATMs. Actually its the only way for me to get cash from my bank, I never saw a physical bank building (I trust there is one ha ha) that I bank with, all online in some state 1000 miles from me. :eek:)

Last edited:
I use these three

1. Citibank- 2% cash back on everything you buy every day of the year, it can not be beat.

2. Discover Card- 1% on everything but rotating 5% categories all year. For example, this summer I get 5% cash backevery restaurant bill for 3 months.

3. This is a 3rd choice I have, even though I HATE Chase - Chase now has the same time of rotation as Discover with 5% categories. Wight Chase though, they make it sound bigger then it is by using the words points instead of cash. Insults my intelligence but other people? Well that it why they do it... :eek:)

We also use a 2% back on everything as our main card ( a Mastercard from a local credit union). And also use the Discover for the rolling 5% stuff. Those are the only 2 cards we have and they are both paid off every month.

Originally Posted by AdRock
I use these three

We also use a 2% back on everything as our main card ( a Mastercard from a local credit union). And also use the Discover for the rolling 5% stuff. Those are the only 2 cards we have and they are both paid off every month.

Exactly ...

I was a household member for my Costco account so I didn't qualify.

So I got my own membership, if I paid the extra $60 for an Executive membership, I'd get a $60 Costco gift card, it was a no-brainer.

Got approved for $9k on the Citi Costco credit card.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back