Chevy Volt / Exxon-Mobil Conundrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have paper and PDF owner's manual. The 2015 OLM enforces the 2 year limit - it won't let you go past 2 years. This is new compared to earlier models.

If I sold anything, I would tell you that you need to buy it again in 1 year, or else!

laugh.gif

I thought ExxonMobil has always supported the OEM drain interval or their's, whichever is longer?

What the period of coverage is

The Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty is valid for one year (12 months) or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Additional requirements for all Mobil 1 Annual Protection products include:

Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
An oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter is recommended for extended oil change intervals and meets the requirements of the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty. When extending oil change intervals beyond your car manufacturer's recommendation, always use a high quality oil filter designed for your intended oil change interval.

The language sorta contradicts itself.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

It sure does contradict itself. I bet they intentionally made it that way and they would go with the latter statement of one year if a customer tried to file a warranty claim for a lubricant problem. The poster who had the jelly/slime incident with Mobil 1 was hung out to dry by XOM when he tried to file a claim, so I consider their warranty to be a false pretense.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
M1 Annual Protection is dexos1 Gen2. M1 Extended Performance can be either Gen1 or Gen2, but all Mobil1 oils have low calcium anyways and GM has stated any 2011-2019 GM engine can use either Gen1 or Gen2 Mobil1 of any flavor that is dexos1.

Yes, M1 AP 5W30 had a d1G2 license number from the start but it had a d1 label on the front at first because it was introduced sometime before d1G2 went live in September 2017. d1G2 is a superset of d1 (kept the tests from the old standard and added new ones), so it was also d1 by default.
Strangely enough, AP jugs on the shelves around here still said d1 long after the rest of their line had the d1G2 label...maybe because the AP was moving so slowly that old stock wasn't getting replaced??

Check the level every month but trust the OLM. I usually change when it gets to the teens on the OLM.

The volt is a two year oil change, Even the stuff the dealer puts in will go the two years. My son in law has one, rarely gets the engine to run and after two years I swear the oil looked like it just came out of the jug. Air filter, after 5 years is like new as well.

You go with the 2 year oil change unless you are primarily on the gas engine. Like always doing long trips but then why did one buy a Volt to do long trips most of the time.

I did 2 year old changes with regular M1 5w30 in my last Corvette, the UOAs backed it up. I would have anywhere from 8-10,000 miles on those OCIs.

GM OLM is designed based on use of conventional mineral oil not synthetic motor oil. There is no need for a synthetic and not only that, the car has no way of knowing you are using any synthetic oil, much less Mobil 1 Annual Protection. The OLM meter does not recalibrate itself based on what kind of oil is in the crankcase. The OLM has no sensor that looks at the actual motor oil.

Originally Posted by wdn
GM OLM is designed based on use of conventional mineral oil not synthetic motor oil. There is no need for a synthetic and not only that, the car has no way of knowing you are using any synthetic oil, much less Mobil 1 Annual Protection. The OLM meter does not recalibrate itself based on what kind of oil is in the crankcase. The OLM has no sensor that looks at the actual motor oil.
That is incorrect. GM OLM is based upon that you use a DEXOS 1 oil beginning in 2011. The OP car in question is a 2015 Chevy Volt. DEXOS 1 applies. No DEXOS 1 is put on a mineral oil bottle. Getting a full synthetic oil would give you extra margin, considering that DEXOS 1 is on a synthetic blend at a minimum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back