Chevy Volt / Exxon-Mobil Conundrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents, a year ago, I put Mobil 1 Annual Performance 5W-30 in my Chevy Volt. This oil, as you all know, is a Dexos 1 (1st Gen) oil. My oil life monitor says I have a year left on the oil. Mobil says it's gotta go after a year. So, when do I change it? Which ginormous company do I listen to?

(As you all know, the Volt is electric only for short trips, and burns gas only for long trips.)

And GO!...

Did you reset the OLM when you put the M1 in? If yes, just follow the OLM. Oil doesn't go bad from sitting, it goes bad from use. I intend on following the OLM on my '13 Volt. With M1 in the sump, you're fine.

I did indeed reset the OLM. When I contacted Mobil 1, their script reader was adamant that 1 year was the limit. GM's script reader was equally adamant about trusting the OLM.

Originally Posted by kohnen
Gents, a year ago, I put Mobil 1 Annual Performance 5W-30 in my Chevy Volt. This oil, as you all know, is a Dexos 1 (1st Gen) oil. My oil life monitor says I have a year left on the oil. Mobil says it's gotta go after a year. So, when do I change it? Which ginormous company do I listen to?

(As you all know, the Volt is electric only for short trips, and burns gas only for long trips.)

And GO!...

GM has allowed a two year OCI on the Volt.
Since they made the engine and are warrantying it, I'd listen to them.
There are UOAs her of multi-year OCIs with M1 in various flavors.
They don't look as though anything bad was happening.
OTOH, the cost of an annual oil change is nothing.
Were I you, I'd probably follow GM and the OLM and ignore the M1 "tech" line.

According to GM, as long as it's Dexos 1, it's OK to follow the OLM.

Exactly. You used some of the best oil out there (and I'm no M1 fan). If you reset the OLM, follow it. That oil will easily handle the minor stress that the engine puts on it.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I would leave the oil as-is and wait to change it when the OLM tells you to change it.

This - 100%

Trust the OLM in your car.

I wouldn't be using annual protection if you aren't getting the mileage out of it. Use a D1G2 oil and change it when your OLM tells you to or the manufacturer of the oil whatever is sooner that way you are surely covered. This cheap, about annual, oil change is excellent insurance that both those 2 companies can fight it out should something go wrong.

Last edited:
It's a mistake to think that seldom used motor oil can't last many years. Quality oils have a very high TBN and will prevent acid buildup effectively for a very long time.

I have a 14, even if the engine is barely run, the OLM runs to zero in two years, like others said. Mobil is probably not including something like a Volt in their one year recommendation.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't be using annual protection if you aren't getting the mileage out of it. Use a D1G2 oil and change it when your OLM tells you to or the manufacturer of the oil whatever is sooner that way you are surely covered. This cheap, about annual, oil change is excellent insurance that both those 2 companies can fight it out should something go wrong.

You should probably read the thread and understand GM's OCI recommendations for the Volt before posting any reply.
Nothing for "both these 2 companies" to fight out, only GM's recommendation of OLM or two years whichever comes first.

I was speaking that either way he would be covered is all because he's meeting GM and the oil manufacturers requirements. Don't take it literally.

I would follow the OLM. GM set the algorithm for your OLM to account for the unique duty cycle of Volt engine. I would note that the OLM in other GM vehicles typically bring you to 0% after a year, even if the car is driven very little. That is because it is recommended in conventional GM cars to change the oil once a year.

The Mobil once a year recommendation is based on the vast majority of cars, not the unique duty cycle of a Volt.

Do you have an Owners Manual, or can you download one online? I looked at one for a 2014, and it said maximum 24 months between oil changes. Look at page 11-3

https://info.bachmanchevrolet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2014-Chevrolet-Volt-Owners-Manual.pdf

Last edited:

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't be using annual protection if you aren't getting the mileage out of it.

Mobil1 makes 2 different extended drain oils: M1 Extended Performance & M1 Annual Protection. Which one are you using?
Actually either one would be fine, and in fact a good choice, to use all the way out to whatever the OLM says. Good choice either way.

This oil, as you all know, is a Dexos 1 (1st Gen) oil.
M1 Annual Protection is dexos1 Gen2. M1 Extended Performance can be either Gen1 or Gen2, but all Mobil1 oils have low calcium anyways and GM has stated any 2011-2019 GM engine can use either Gen1 or Gen2 Mobil1 of any flavor that is dexos1.

GM usually says every year if the OLM never says to change the oil after a year, but the Volt is an exception where they allow 2 years
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back