Chevy sonic 6 speed manual trans fluid

What is the basis of your information?
GL-3 rated fluid has less of the friction buffers and antiwear adds than GL-4 does...it is not a huge difference but there is a difference..GL-3 is actually obsolete but some fluids still only meet that standard..the pennzoil synchromesh even stated it was GL-3 .

Honestly, I'd use Pennzoil or Valvoline MTF that you can actually buy in stores :sneaky:

Maybe it's a little thicker than you're supposed to use, but it's the only MTF you'll ever find on the shelf of a US store. For the more common 75w90 GL4, your only choice is Liqui Moly #20012 from Napa

Weren't the earlier units filled with BOT 402 GL4 75w85..... GM moved to 303 for better MPG or maybe because of limpwristed snowflake complaints. Little hint.... shouldn't be adjusting fluid viscosity for shift quality. Install a temperature sender/gauge would give you better R&D then the marketing/accounting engineers at the automaker. Does GM still sell either 402 or 303?

I don't see the bearing failure as an Amsoil issue. Upgrading from a 70w or 75w to synchromesh fluid, even though not stated GL4, but still has excellent additive package, wasn't the cause....

I doubt it was a fluid problem. GM bean counters at work!

My ol' 7.3 powerstroke is a guzzler..... should I dump the 15w40 for a 0w8 oil and drain the differentials from 75w140 to a 75w80? This is pretty much what went on with manual transmissions at all automakers.

I would say that GM did some interesting case design work to move fluid around for better temperature control within a running transmission(seems that most automakers copied it), kinda like what GaleBanks did with their 'differential cover' comparison. Obviously, it wasn't enough for all transmissions. Seen a rash of various failures among all makes that didn't make sense, other than common move to thinner fluid.

Use the OE or the Redline LV fluid. It will give you the best MPG. The future failures are inevitable. If it were mine, I'd use the BOT402 or Redline MT85 and thumb my noses at the MPG. And when cold, just be patient with the transmission. All manuals can be a little annoying with cold. Its the nature of the beast. The SAE140, pretty sure solid like a bar of soap, used in a company fleet was a little difficult to shift 30 years ago, especially in winter.... nothing like battling with reverse, and then riding 1st gear thru the company lot, and out on the road 1/2 mile before 'attempting' a shift to 2nd. Manual transmission are nothing like arcade/video games with their pseudo shifter.

A good transmission shop can swap in a Sega Arcade shifter into your vehicle... and you can have all your shifting fun in the driveway. Too many learned to drive a manual in a video game.
So, so true... your comment about "nature of the beast" (at least in my opinion). I would almost say that if they aren't a 'wee bit fussy when cold, then you have an inadequately-protective-of-the-bearings viscosity of lubricant.

GL-3 rated fluid has less of the friction buffers and antiwear adds than GL-4 does...it is not a huge difference but there is a difference..GL-3 is actually obsolete but some fluids still only meet that standard..the pennzoil synchromesh even stated it was GL-3 .
You haven't stated your sources.

Nowhere in the Pennzoil Synchromesh PDF file below does it state that it is a GL-3.

I have analyzed it forensically and the Pennzoil Synchromesh has the necessary chemical signature and Anti-Wear components to qualify it with a GL-4 protection rating.

Attachments

• Pennzoil Synchromesh PDF.pdf
    479.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
So, so true... your comment about "nature of the beast" (at least in my opinion). I would almost say that if they aren't a 'wee bit fussy when cold, then you have an inadequately-protective-of-the-bearings viscosity of lubricant.
Having said the above - I do know that AW formulations certainly contribute to wear protection, as does (I believe) viscosity.

Sorry about the type-size of this attachment (turn your mobile devices side-ways), and for having posted it some considerable while ago... but I believe the principle is an accurate one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-124354~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-124354~2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Nowhere in the Pennzoil Synchromesh PDF file below does it state that it is a GL-3.

I have analyzed it forensically and the Pennzoil Synchromesh has the necessary chemical signature and Anti-Wear components to qualify it with a GL-4 protection rating.
About a year or two ago the older TDS did in fact state that Pennzoil Synchromesh was in fact a GL-3 rated fluid. It was even on the back of the bottles back then.

Nowhere in the CURRENT Pennzoil Synchromesh PDF file I listed does it state that it is a GL-3.

Ram_Man's question has been answered and the correct replacement fluid would be a LV MTF 6.X cSt@100C similar to the Redline REDLINE MT-LV.

Mola said:
These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as Dexron VI ATF) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
6. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

Last edited:
Nowhere in the CURRENT Pennzoil Synchromesh PDF file I listed does it state that it is a GL-3.

Ram_Man's question has been answered and the correct replacement fluid would be a LV MTF 6.X cSt@100C similar to the Redline REDLINE MT-LV.
It may not in the new one, but just last year or so both the bottle AND the old TDS indicated GL-3, and you can find a number of references to that on the internet as well. I tried to click on the TDS link on Pennzoil Synchromech and it said the document did not exist. Do you have a valid link to that you can post? Thanks.

It may not in the new one, but just last year or so both the bottle AND the old TDS indicated GL-3, and you can find a number of references to that on the internet as well. I tried to click on the TDS link on Pennzoil Synchromech and it said the document did not exist. Do you have a valid link to that you can post? Thanks.
Yes, it's in post #25, where I stated:

Mola said:

Do you have a forensic's analysis that disputes my findings?

Yes, it's in post #25, where I stated:

Do you have a forensic's analysis that disputes my findings?
Of course not, I wasn't trying to argue with you, just stating that prior to the past couple of years Pennzoil Synchromesh WAS a GL-3 spec fluid according to the old TDS and the bottle itself.

In Europe GM/Opel recommends 93165694/1940004 oil for this Getrag M32 6-speed gearbox.
(safety data sheet: https://e-katalog.intercars.com.pl/download_PDF/3233321821332)

Viscosity / kinematic: 29-33 (40°C) / 6-6.4 (100°C) mm²/s
Pour point: -66 °C
Flash point: >200 °C COC - Cleveland Open Cup

Is it recommended to use Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE 75 GL4 with this transmission?
(specs: https://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITAN-SINTOFLUID-FE-75W_e.pdf)

Viscosity / kinematic: 40.8 (40°C) / 6.7 (100°C) mm²/s
Pour point: -44°C
Flash point: 221 °C

Just thinking, could there be difference with gear change / syncro behaviour with Fuchs FE75 vs. original factory fill 1940004?

Or would it be best to stick with Red Line MT-LV or Castrol FE 75W when changing oil?

Attachments

• 19 40 004en.pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PI_TITAN-SINTOFLUID-FE-75W_e.pdf
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
Back