Chevy auto-stop feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about buying a new Chevy Cruze with the diesel motor and manual transmission for the exceptionally high fuel mileage. If I get one, I have to do it now as they are dropping the manual after this year. However, I just learned this car incorporate an engine cutoff when the car comes to a stop and Chevy has not included a disable feature and apparently there is no current hack to bypass. I do turn-off my engine for long stops but I wish to be in control of this and want to be sure the engine is fully warmed. My concern is it has always been reported primary engine wear comes from starting. What do you folks think? Is this a true concern or am I being silly in terms of wanting a ~300,000 mile engine?

Personally I wouldn't by any car at any price that could not have this miserable Mikey Mouse feature disabled on the dealers lot before driving it away. Hard to believe this feature makes CVT look good, they can shove them both where the sun never shines sideways.

That would be just enough for me to cross the Chevy off my shopping list until a hack or dongle becomes available. No thanks GM.

Features like this to conserve fuel and meet CAFE standards are going to be the norm. Here-on BITOG where the Crown Vic is idolized and new tech phobia is epidemic-the above comment by TRAV pretty much is representative of most.

Last edited:
I do not believe the new diesel Cruze with a manual transmission has the auto start/stop feature, only automatic versions do.

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
I was thinking about buying a new Chevy Cruze with the diesel motor and manual transmission for the exceptionally high fuel mileage. If I get one, I have to do it now as they are dropping the manual after this year. However, I just learned this car incorporate an engine cutoff when the car comes to a stop and Chevy has not included a disable feature and apparently there is no current hack to bypass. I do turn-off my engine for long stops but I wish to be in control of this and want to be sure the engine is fully warmed. My concern is it has always been reported primary engine wear comes from starting. What do you folks think? Is this a true concern or am I being silly in terms of wanting a ~300,000 mile engine?

Never looked into how to disable … but on Cruze rentals I pop it in neutral just like I do my Tahoe that does not cut off … I yield my rants to others …
PS: MB’s in the EU do this … but carry on with GM bash

My 2017 Malibu has this feature. I have an automatic transmission. So I just drive in L6 and it never turns off. I noticed that it was killing the engine when it had not fully warmed up after starting. I'm not a fan of the "feature".

Off topic but have you used a calculator to see if the high fuel economy will really save you in the end?

The regular 1.4T Cruze gets 32 mpg combined and the diesel gets 37 mpg combined. Average gallon of gas is $2.84 and diesel is $3.15. The diesel model seems to be at least $3,000 more expensive.

15,000 miles a year in the gas model is $1,331 in fuel while the diesel model is $1,277. A yearly savings of $54.

It would take 55-1/2 years for the increase in price to break even.

Now if you drive all highway the gas Cruze gets 40 mpg and the diesel gets 52 mpg.

Using the same data above, it would take 19 years to break even, with a yearly fuel savings of $157.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Features like this to conserve fuel and meet CAFE standards are going to be the norm. Here-on BITOG where the Crown Vic is idolized and new tech phobia is epidemic-the above comment by TRAV pretty much is representative of most.
A lot of people don't care for stop gap nonsense.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I drove an 18' gas Malibu and it drove me absolutely nuts. Had to put it in manual shift mode which was annoying too to get it to stop turning off.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
My 2017 Malibu has this feature. I have an automatic transmission. So I just drive in L6 and it never turns off. I noticed that it was killing the engine when it had not fully warmed up after starting. I'm not a fan of the "feature".

L9? On diesel

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tur...B&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:

Could be. But forum members on here will go out of their way not to by a CVT-or even Direct Injection. The buying public doesn't care nearly as much.

Last edited:
Are you sure the manual has the auto stop/start feature? I test drove and wrote about a Cruze diesel stick I test drove months ago. I don't remember it having that feature.
I think someone is giving you bad info.

I will also add that I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Any out of pocket repairs to the delicate POS emissions on modern diesels will quickly erode any savings
you'll get for fuel economy.

Could be. But forum members on here will go out of their way not to by a CVT-or even Direct Injection. The buying public doesn't care nearly as much.
Of course they will. Those technologies aren't as mature and proven. Not everyone trades every 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I will also add that I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Any out of pocket repairs to the delicate POS emissions on modern diesels will quickly erode any savings
you'll get for fuel economy.

Too much of the world is after ending passenger car diesel power … it carries that risk IMO …
Small cars get good mileage on petrol … GTI makes hefty torque … all good.
I’ll leave diesel to the big rigs and industrial engines …

Thanks all! And yes, I’m not sure it really is that much of a cost advantage of the diesel over the gas version but I do find the diesel version intriguing and with the epa of 52mpg, I’m betting I’ll get into the 60s. I always get better then the epa estimate. The interest is somewhat dampened by the hassle, cost and nuisance of the urea addition. As to the question about the stop/start on the manual … NO! I don’t know? I had just assumed it was featured on whatever transmission but maybe this is only on the auto? I live in Santa Fe and the closest dealer I found with the diesel and manual was Colorado Springs. I was thinking of making a run to check it out. That would be great if the manual does not have this stop/start feature. And Skyactiv, do you have link to what you wrote. I would be very interested!

The Start/stop is the biggest complaint people have about the car. It some situations it is dangerous. GM finally is adding a start/stop disable feature for the 2019 Cruze.

Of course they will. Those technologies aren't as mature and proven. Not everyone trades every 2-3 years.

You do realize that Ford sells an "F Series" pickup like every 30 seconds nationally don't you? You do realize that the vast majority of those are half-tons with "start'stop" technology. Yes-there is a cut off switch-that you have to press EVERY TIME you start the truck. My son has one and after a short time you do not even pay attention to the motor turning it's self on and off.

So yes-people buy them-in case of the F-150 - in vast quantities.

You’re optimistic. You will just not be allowed to have a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back