Chevy 2.4 Oil Burner Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4 burns oil, a quart every 1k miles or so. Specs call for dexos1 5w30 which ive been buying castrol gtx full syn dex1 "cheapest at wm"
Questions is, what oil would prolong the catalytic converter from clogging which i know is inevitable. Would a thicker 0w40 help, and what 0w40 is dexos approved because im finding nothing? Should i stay away from certain additives such as titanium or sticky molecules im running now with the gtx? and would a syn blend over a full syn be better visa versa?
Thanks in advance.

You could check the PCV valve first but it's probably stuck rings. Chevy had a problem with this to the point some engines got new pistons/rings installed. I would put 2oz of MMO in each cylinder and let it sit at least 12hrs. Put some rags over the sparkplug holes, press gas pedal to the floor and spin the motor over without the plugs installed. Wipe up the mess, install plugs. Warm it up and take it out on the interstate and drive it like you stole it. At the very least you'll have some fun!!! Good Luck!!!

Sounds like a lot of oil burning. How many miles are on it? I would try some MMO in the oil first. If that doesn't work maybe a piston soak is in store.

There is a 2013 equinox 2.4 in the family I work on.. it has 48000 miles

I changed the oil with M1(after 4 changes with PP) and suddenly it lost 2quarts in 2500miles, had me questioning if I filled it enough as it had never previously burnt oil.
but its pretty easy.. just dump in the whole 5qt jug.. that is hard to mess up..

Then I checked for leaks because the canister oil filter is in a pita location.. its not too bad if you buy the special low profile 3/8" drive socket, and make a "tight mark" to line up the housing with the lid.
so you know when its fully tightened.

I went back to PP and it again appeared to use no oil over the first 2500 miles but at 4500miles it was 1.25qt low...

its not too bad just need to remember to check it when I am over for dinner etc.

Its well known that quite a few of these burn oil badly.. I forget the root cause.. but no magic high mileage oil will fix it.

1 quart in 1k miles is considered normal by most manufacturers (even in a new vehicle). Check and/or replace the PCV as mentioned. Use a HM oil as mentioned. Synthetic or conventional will not matter. Conventional would be cheaper and would be my choice. Stay away from magic additives.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
1 quart in 1k miles is considered normal by most manufacturers (even in a new vehicle). Check and/or replace the PCV as mentioned. Use a HM oil as mentioned. Synthetic or conventional will not matter. Conventional would be cheaper and would be my choice. Stay away from magic additives.

1 quart every 1K miles is a low standard that many manufactures follow to avoid paying out on warranty claims. If it's "normal" then there is nothing to fix!

These motors are known oil burners. My brother lost his 2012 Equinox to that POS engine. He took it to the dealer for changes so I can't be much help.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
The car now has 69,100+ miles on it. Its been in the shop for over a month, chevrolet and our extended warranty refused to fix it. Needs new pistons and rings, and/or motor. Chevy will pay $700 of $8000.00 for a new motor, so yeah... it aint happening.
Recap thread : https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3-equinox-2-4l-ac-delco-5w30#Post5180869

That's awful. I've talked to some Chevy techs and yes that engine is known for rings and piston replacement. And it's total BS that after 69k miles you need a new engine. I'd trade that piece find garbage in and never go back to GM (and I own a GM).

Originally Posted by Chris142
If it's burning that much oil why worry about the dexos thing? Put 20w 50 or sae 40 in it.

+1. I'd just be throwing the cheapest "whatever" in there - probably start with some 15w40 and see what happens.

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by Chris142
If it's burning that much oil why worry about the dexos thing? Put 20w 50 or sae 40 in it.

+1. I'd just be throwing the cheapest "whatever" in there - probably start with some 15w40 and see what happens.

Yes D1G2 is not going to bring it back from brink or renew the warranty. I wouldn't even consider fixing a GM product.

I posted about this problem in someone else's post, but I'll do it again if it might help you out. My wife's 2011 Equinox with 56k miles on it was using half a qt every 750 miles. Chevy said they won't do anything about it, due to the date it was put in service. It's long out of warranty, so I can use whatever oil I want in it. What I did was change the oil with Mobil 1 5w30 ext perf oil and a fram filter. I only put 4 1/2 qts of mobil one in the motor, the rest I used a half qt of Super tech 20/50 conventional oil with the SN + api rating. My wife then took several trips totaling 500 miles each with another 1k around town and local trips during the heat of the summer. Don't know why, but that combo of oil cut the consumption down to 1/4 of a qt in 2k miles. I swear that's all I did. No other parts or things were changed. I can live with that consumption amount for the duration of a 5k OCI. I wouldn't go with all 20/50 wt, as the cam chain gizmo's need a thinner oil to keep them working. If your car is drinking oil, you have try a few things out of the norm to try and get it to a reasonable amount of oil being used.,,

My Caddy 3.6 (different engine, similar PCV problem) does a LOT better on Castrol 0W40 (the Belgium stuff).
Surprisingly reduced consumption like my Saturn 1.9 (oil ring drainback problem) did on "green" Castrol 0W30.

I have a personal grudge with BP because they screwed me when they were price-fixing propane, but I've had positive results with the oils.

It's time to use a nice 40 grade of your choice. Or try the Valvoline stuff which is expensive. I guess you can try Auto-Rx it wont hurt and it may free up your rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back