Chevron Supreme Syn 5w40 as LL-01 approved option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if this would be a good option as another BMW LL-01 approved oil in comparison to PU, GC, and M1 0w-40? The numbers look decent, but I've never seen this oil anywhere.

here's the specs and link:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=313625&docFormat=PDF

Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40
meets:
• ACEA European Oil Sequence A3/B4-04
Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 is
approved by:
• BMW Longlife-01 oil
• Mercedes Benz
MB-Approval 229.50
• Volkswagen 505.00, 502.00

Last edited:
Its always looked like an interesting oil, but shortof buying a ton from a jobber, Im not seeing how to get it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
That why Mobil 1 0W40 is popular with German car owners.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/li_pszi8s6bzr.html

Mobil 1 is not quite so popular in Germany with German car owners as a 0/40 is not quite as high temp shear resistant as a 5/40 and the Germans use much longer OCI's. Quite a number of engines do not have approvals to use 0W oil and 5/30 is a more common range than 0/40.
The most popular engine oil companies listed in the article above are as follows:
Liqui Moly
Castrol
Shell
Mobil
Aral (BP)
Valvoline
Most folks seem to use good quality HC (Group 3) synthetics or part synthetic oils. The fully synthetics (As defined in German groups 4 & 5) are rather expensive and the longer OCI's make conventional dino oils less popular.
For owners who don't use a manufacturers oil filter, Mann and Bosche seem popular.

Last edited:
I been using it for the last two OCI's in my GTI. It's now Havoline 5W-40. I pick it up for about $5.44 a quart at a local distributor.

002-1.jpg

Here is my UOA. Lots of Calicum and Zinc.

Chevron 5W-40 UOA

I should say "Mobil 1 0W40 is popular with German car owners in USA".

The reason are: availability(almost at every auto parts chains and WM) and price($6.xx at WM and around $5.xx when on sale regularly at one of the chains).

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I should say "Mobil 1 0W40 is popular with German car owners in USA".

The reason are: availability(almost at every auto parts chains and WM) and price($6.xx at WM and around $5.xx when on sale regularly at one of the chains).

This is true. If I had a chance to buy Motul or Total everywhere I would.
Other then that, good ole M1!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Fixed:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Other then that, good ole noisy M1!

wink.gif
j/k ... sort of.

M1 0w40 is quieter than BMW 5w30 in my M5. Remarkably quiet actually, and that comment was from two other M5 owners.

I know - I wasn't entirely serious...it's just fun to mention sometimes as it's kind of a cliche.
smile.gif

'tis, that's for sure.

Fixed:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Other then that, good ole noisy M1!

wink.gif
j/k ... sort of.

I had GC and M1 in VW CC. No difference at all!

why is the BMW 5W-30 not liked as much as GC or M1040? It has more moly than even M1040.

Is the possible sludge issue the only reason why it's not considered a viable option as an LL-01 approved oil?

Is the BMW 5w30 the exact equivalent to CASTROL EDGE
PROFESSIONAL BMW LL01 5W-30, or is it a special formula which castrol makes for BMW?

TXT Softec. Alas, that oil no longer exists in Europe, so who knows which one it now most closely resembles. There are a bunch of Edge 5w-30 versions available in Europe - it's got to be one of them.

And which current and freely available Castrol is the one with LL01? I can never remember the version/name of it

Both 0W30 and 5W40 are now LL-01.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
why is the BMW 5W-30 not liked as much as GC or M1040? It has more moly than even M1040.

Is the possible sludge issue the only reason why it's not considered a viable option as an LL-01 approved oil??

It's because many owners think their sporty 250 hp sedan is somehow equivalent to a 500hp forced induction high rpm sports car. Oh wait...BMW uses this oil in their 500 hp forced induction engines. Well then they forgoe it because the 0w30 is "real synthetic" made of golden PAO which is like god's gift to these "high performance" 250 hp sedans. Because without PAO and &a 5k mile OCI these engines will implode. *shrug*.

Last edited:
Thanks but what is it exactly called? Edge 0w-30 and 5w-40 or some other name?

Edge with SPT 0w-30
Edge with SPT 5w-40

GC_SPT2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back