Chevron Supreme 10w30 - Nissan KA24DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my third sequential oil analysis for this vehicle, all with Chevron 10w30 in a Nissan KA24DE 4 sylinder 2.4L engine. I am going to swith to a new oil at the next change, so there will be one more analysis with the Chevron 10w30. Something happens to this oil after about 3000 miles, probably shearing?, and the engine starts to get very loud. I want to find an oil that will last a little bit longer. I plan on switching to Chevron Delo 15w40. I resently tried this oil in a high mileage (240k) KA24DE in an Altima, and it made it nice and quiet.

The link is to the page where the results are posted. How do others post formated html for their analysis?

http://home.pacbell.net/johnkie/FrontierOilUsage.html

2001 Frontier KA24DE Oil Analysis

Sample Information
Elements in Parts Per Million

Mileage 46.329 50.147 54,066
Date 10/21/2002 11/24/2002 01/31/2003
Miles on Oil 3891 3818 3919
Oil Brand Chevron Supreme Chevron Supreme Chevron Supreme
Oil Grade 10W30 10W30 10W30
Oil Filter Nissan 15208-9e000 Nissan 15208-9e000 Nissan 15208-9e000
Make-up Oil Added 0 0 0
Aluminum 2 2 2
Chromium 0 0 0
Iron 4 4 5
Copper 3 3 3
Lead 1 1 1
Tin 1 0 0
Molybdenum 7 1 2
Nickel 0 0 1
Manganese 0 0 0
Silver 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0
Potassium 18 23 18
Boron 3 3 3
Silicon 7 6 6
Sodium 9 8 10
Calcium 1714 1866 1886
Magnesium 5 5 6
Phosphorus 783 784 812
Zinc 868 914 942
Barium 1 0 0
TBN 5.0 N/A N/A

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 57.8 56.4 57.8
Flashpoint In degrees F 395 405 390
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3 0.4 0.4

Comments for at 54,066 by Blackstone Laboratories: John: Again, almost no change showed up from your engine. You have one of the better wearing Nissan's we see on a normal basis and we think a longer oil use would not be a problem. Insolubles; oil oxidation due to heat, use, and blow-by; were low at 0.4%, showing good oil filtration and complete combustion. The oil's viscosity was good for a 10W30 and no excessive fuel dilution, moisture, or anti-freexe was found. At 54,066 total miles, everything looks good. Suggest going 5,000 miles on the next oil.
My comments: Same as the last interval. I am going to switch to a different oil at the next change to try to extend the interval before the engine gets noisy again. I am probably going to use Chevron Delo 400. I tried this oil on another KA24DE with 240,000 that was usually noisy even right after the oil change, and it became nice and quiet.

[ February 11, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: johnk ]

Why not just step up to the 10/40 Chevron Supreme?

You have a good thing going for you here,,with warmer weather approaching it seems the 10/40 would be the logical next step before using a Fleet oil in a relatively low mile motor in an effort to reduce engine noise.

johnk ,
Single digit wear figures with buck a quart Wal-Mart oil,why do you need to try something different. How much does it cost to do an oil change,$9-10 ?
dunno.gif

I'd be pleased with this return.(I'm easy to please
grin.gif
)

Mark

First of all-thanks for posting. This is one of the most interesting and useful posts I have seen. These numbers here are nothing short of a model of consistancy for both the Nissan engine and the oil. We have seen lots of good numbers for the Chevron 10W-30. Of course Nissan is no slouch on engines. I agree 100% with Dragboat. Go with the 10W-40 Supreme. Since hopefully we are coming up to warmer weather this is yet another reason to switch. I am at a total loss to understand the nature of the noise. Perhaps you have a piston slap that needs the maximum amount of additive or even a slightly higher viscosity. I doubt the increased viscosity will help though. After the 10W-40 I would perhaps give a moly oil a try. What did you put in in this drain? Another thought might be the Shaeffer's molly additive. Again thanks for posting-very useful.
cheers.gif

You might submit your problem to batauto.com and ask the question in the import section. There are some pros over there. Let us know what you come up with.

I have the same engine with almost the same mileage.

I run Mobil 1 SS 10W30 with Schaeffer's #132 and it really quieted the tappets. Noise does not increase over the 3.75k drain interval.

I have noticed that tappet noise does increase with low viscosity 5W30 oils that shear quickly.

johnk, like others, I feel you have little to complain about. Really good, consistent results so far. I suppose the oil may be thinning by the end of the interval or the additive package (merely ZDDP?) is somewhat depleted but I'd put more money on the former. The amounts of zinc and phosphorus are consistent ... and increasing slightly. Still, wear remains minimal. At this rate the truck will fall apart around that fine running engine.
smile.gif

Sure, I own a bit of Chevron Texaco stock (which is a steal right now) but I'm not pushing people to use it for that reason, at the prices they charge, I fear they're not making any profit on it.
frown.gif

If you really want to experiment, you might want to merely go with Chevron Supreme 10W40 as previously suggested or try a good additive like the aforementioned Schaeffer #132 E.P. It would be interesting to see what effect (if any) these slight changes would have on those results.

I'm sure Delo 400 in 15W40 will work well ... but it would decrease your mileage slightly. It will probably not be able to give you any better wear numbers ... hard to improve on what you already have without going to something a little more exotic.

Trying Pennzoil 10W30 ... or Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 might be interesting. Similar high quality base oils with different additive packages (Pennzoil having adopted moly in the past year or so). The biggest difference between the two is that the High Mileage formula has a little ester in it (5-10%) which may also help reduce wear.

--- Bror Jace

Thanks for all of the comments. I think I will try going with 10w40 and see how that goes. I would like to be able to go 5000 on an oil change reliably. It is not the cost of doing the change so much, as a scheduling problem. This is my wife's commuting vehicle, and she puts on over 500 miles a week. If I miss a couple of weekends the oil can end up going much longer than I would like.

Greg - that is the miles between the oil changes, not the mileage on the vehicle.

My next sample is going to have a quart of Chevron 10w40 added as make-up oil. After a long high speed and rev highway trip this past weekend it was over a quart low. The 10w40 was the only oil I had available. Maybe I have not been adding enough oil when I change it.

johnk I recently changed from 10W30 dino w/Auto-Rx to a Delvac 1 5W40 M1 0W40 Trisyn mix (no rocket science blending just using up leftovers). The reduction in general engine noise particularly from the rocker area is remarkable. Was my first and will definitely be my last go at a 30W oil.

Chevron oils, $0.94 per quart @ SCHUCKS, with a $3 per case mail-in rebate = 69 centavos each!

I even picked up another case in the Delo400 15W-40 at a competitor who matched the $0.94 sale price!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back