Chevron Delo 400 LE 5W-30- specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meets the SN rating. With that low PP, its looks like there is some PAO in the mix. Where can I find this oil?
20.gif

Last edited:
I'm not using it because of NOACK. You can only get it from Chevron distributors and it costs around $8/qt if you get a 3 gal case. Too much.

I bet they could get more certifications if they tried, like BMW LL-01/04 and VW. May also be a A3/B4 qualifier with that TBN and HTHS.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I'm not using it because of NOACK. You can only get it from Chevron distributors and it costs around $8/qt if you get a 3 gal case. Too much.

That is a high cost per quart. The NOACK is not that out of line when compared to any other 5w30 full synthetic except for PU.

Last edited:
Looks similar to the HDD oil from Amsoil. Lower tbn and higher noack than the amsoil.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=HDDQT-EA

Similar mpg improvement claims to Amsoil.

OFF Topic personal observation.

My 2000 excursion 7.3 has been running the 5w30 HDD Amsoil since about 25k miles and is at 192k miles now. I use about 17 quarts over 25k oil change intervals. I top off about every 8-10k miles with a quart and drain with about 1 quart down from the full mark. Oil analysis shows thickening over that time from 11.7 to 11.9 cst. No oil dilution or excess soot. 1 EAO99 oil filter over the 25k. It currently takes about 15 months to reach 25k miles.

I did run thicker oil before switching to the HDD, AME 15w40 and it sheared down to 12.3 cst and the antifoaming additives would run low and cause loss of power and fuel economy before the 25k. Makeup oil would help it along but I would have preferred not to have to depend on the makeup oil to help with the antifoam. I don't have that problem with the HDD5w30.

Conclusion: 7.3 powerstrokes like thick 30 wt oil or very thin 40 wt. 12.2 cst would probably be ideal of you could get it. Would that be a 35 wt oil?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
I bet they could get more certifications if they tried, like BMW LL-01/04 and VW. May also be a A3/B4 qualifier with that TBN and HTHS.

They could not get LL04 "if they tried" because SA = 1.0%. For ACEA C3, which LL04 is based on, SA is But I'm using Delvac 1 LE 5W30 (similar to this oil) anyways in an 09 X5 35d because of better TBN. Not good when TBN drops to 1.5 and TAN is simultaneously 4.83 (on Castrol OE Prof. 5W30 a C3/LL04 oil).

Charlie

Originally Posted By: wulimaster

Conclusion: 7.3 powerstrokes like thick 30 wt oil or very thin 40 wt. 12.2 cst would probably be ideal of you could get it. Would that be a 35 wt oil?
smile.gif

Most high mileage gasoline engine oils that were Xw30 would have 100C viscosities like that, unfortunately, I see no HM oil that meets CJ4

Chevron does not have their own technology for 5W-30 CJ-4 HDEO. This product is available under multiple brands. The dead give-away is the 2.0% Class 8 and 4.5% Class 6 fuel savings by SAE 2-truck test. It is top notch stuff, though! We have customers with a lot of idle time in their fleet (boom trucks) that are seeing over 4.5% increase in fuel economy.

That Amsoil product does not meet CJ-4, EO-O, CES 20081, MB 228.X1. Looks like the Amsoil product is tailed more to the medium duty truck market.

So does Chevron buy their base stocks from someone else for the Delo 400 LE 5w30? Confused, I thought Cheron produced their own base oils and PAO??

Either way, it's awesome stuff, quite Stellar UOA in my 6.0. I will do another anylasis at 110,000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back