Cheapest New EV Car in Canada

Pure EV won't be cheap. Have you considered a hybrid instead? reason for buying an EV instead of hybrid?

The fiance and I have discussed buying one, and the larger battery of an ev is appealing.
We both own gas pickups, filling our ICE vehicle needs.
But an ev sounds good, small and cheap.
A hybrid is just another gas vehicle to us, and a small battery, which makes no sense, we may as well get nothing else, and just drive our pickups.
I was hopeful that someone may know of a cheap ev is all.
My googling didn't turn up any, but there are some knowledgeable people on here.

Any discussion of a hybrid should also include whether one is thinking of a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) or a normal hybrid. A PHEV can operate as a full EV on a short trip.

Here is a one pager on rebates in BC plus the federal rebate. A vehicle has to be picked, then the rebates are applied. There are rebates for PHEV’s but apparently they have to be the “ extended” range “ type to qualify. A bit of research is required.

9179E8DD-C9C1-4F95-82E8-890D160DF2C1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget there is a $5,000 federal rebate for some new EVs. There are additional rebates in some provinces. And incentives for installing a home charger in some provinces too.
And you can buy an unoccupied house in Detroit for $1. There is always a reason the government creates programs that give money to people, in order to buy things the majority of other people don't want.

There are no cheap EV's. Better off getting a used corrola or if you want new then a kia forte gets like 40 mpg on the highway with a CVT and is like $25,000 brand new.
IMG-20240104-WA0002.jpg
nope, not at least here with over 2€/ kwh. Maffia model in EU. Long live Diesel 💪

A simple review of battery cell wholesale pricing makes the entire EV thing clear.

Despite some claims of decreasing battery costs, the bottom line is that cell prices have bottomed out and are now rising. Couple that with manufacturers understanding that better thermal management systems are required to prevent warranty claims, and an assembled, high quality battery pack of sufficient capacity IS roughly the cost of a conventional car such as a Corolla, Sentra or similar. Reducing capacity, of course, reduces that cost. Such size reduction also limits range based usefulness and battery lifespan, by limiting the lifetime KWh you can extract from the battery.

With that in mind, a nearly new Bolt or Leaf would be the first choices for an "inexpensive" EV.

You can actually get a low miles, 2022, with a healthy battery for $16K-18K here in FL. Could prob import it. Heck I'd drive one to NY for you. I do the trip all the time.

Last edited:
Thinking aloud here, a Leaf with a 40KWh pack has roughly half the capacity of long range Model 3. Although we might expect half the lifespan, if treated similarly, all things are not equal. The small pack will charge/discharge each cell at a higher rate, stressing it more. Calculations show a 10% reduction in life and capacity, due to this alone. This means that range drops from (example) 150 miles, to 135 fairly quickly, due to this one factor.

Any way you slice it, the per mile cost of a battery pack is reduced with a larger pack. Assuming sufficient miles per year.

There are no cheap EV's. Better off getting a used corrola or if you want new then a kia forte gets like 40 mpg on the highway with a CVT and is like $25,000 brand new.

I don't really fit in a corolla, and if I asked my fiance to drive one she would laugh at me. After her own, and her families experience with toyota, she wouldn't even consider one.
She does like the idea of an electric car to commute though.
Well maybe in time someone will come along with a cheap ev car for us to buy.
Thanks all.

I don't really fit in a corolla, and if I asked my fiance to drive one she would laugh at me. After her own, and her families experience with toyota, she wouldn't even consider one.
She does like the idea of an electric car to commute though.
Well maybe in time someone will come along with a cheap ev car for us to buy.
Thanks all.
Any cheap EV will be small. Our Model 3 is kinda sardine can size. Not the smallest, but a Model Y is a more sensible vehicle overall.
I know these are not in your budget, but what you are looking for does not exist AFAIK.

Any cheap EV will be small. Our Model 3 is kinda sardine can size. Not the smallest, but a Model Y is a more sensible vehicle overall.
I know these are not in your budget, but what you are looking for does not exist AFAIK.
I find the Model 3 to be a decent midsizer, but that does speak a lot to how modern vehicles have changed. There aren't many small car around. The days of the standard Malibu and Pontiac G6 are long gone. I'm only going by memory, but I'm sure the size is very similar.

The fiance and I have discussed buying one, and the larger battery of an ev is appealing.
We both own gas pickups, filling our ICE vehicle needs.
But an ev sounds good, small and cheap.
A hybrid is just another gas vehicle to us, and a small battery, which makes no sense, we may as well get nothing else, and just drive our pickups.
I was hopeful that someone may know of a cheap ev is all.
My googling didn't turn up any, but there are some knowledgeable people on here.
I own a hybrid (Prius V) and have considered a plug in hybrid in the past. This is the summary of my analysis between this and a battery only EV:

1) hybrid will always be more fuel efficient than a typical gas vehicle if designed correctly and used in the right condition. It does regenerative braking and boost the powertrain output when needed so the engine can be downsized to just enough for constant hill climb at respectable speed. CVT will improve its fuel efficiency and keeping engine in powerband, etc.

2) Most people drive less than 40 miles a day and even if you don't, removing 40 miles of gas and replace it with 40 miles of electricity will still reduce a lot of gas with not too much battery (the main cost of an EV). Plug in hybrid also eliminate your range anxiety if you want to use it for long trip.

3) Replacing a smaller battery cost less, so it is easier to afford keeping a plug in longer than 15 years vs a battery only hybrid.

If I were to buy another car I would get a plug in instead of a full EV. Combining the low hanging fruits from both side seems like a no brainer to me.

Back