Cheap way to detail your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use lots of different brands of procucts. And I do have my favorites just as everyone has their own. Not that the products that I like are the best, I just like'em, because they work for the way that I do things. And when I have a product in my possession, I use it on everything, for example, "SHINE PRODUCTS"...I use them for the interior/exterior, dash/consol, door panels as well as tires/body molding and rubber door seals. It's a great way to keep cost down!

I don't buy a specific product for the interior...dash/consol, door panels AND another product just for the exterior...tires, molding or flat black, NO WAY! I use the same product(which ever one I have purchaced). If I want a "toned down version"(less gloss) for the, oh lets say the dash for example...I'll just dampen the applicator with water before applying the product. I'm sure that many folks do the same?

Again, this is only to keep cost down if your on a budget or in the detailing business.

I do the same with car wash soaps too...I use ONE on everything, the vehicle paint, and wheels/tires. I don't buy specific wheel or tire cleaning products(unless it's really needed). I use one product for all! I have even used a small amount of carwash soap(low concentration) for use on seat fabric & carpet to remove stains
smile.gif

I guess if I were still in the detailing business, I may keep on hand, some specific products for the different degrees of "Dirty" a customers vehicle may be in. Ya know! That specific wheel cleaner for those really black brake dust wheels. Or different grades of polishes...And so on!

Also, I don't buy specific Bug & Tar Remover. I have other products in my possession that will remove bugs/tar very effectivly and they don't cost much. Really HOT water removes bugs nicely! And any spray lube(WD, LW, PB) or a bit of gasoline on a reg, removes tar/sap nicely and doesn't hurt the paint...Especially if your going to wash the vehicle ANYWAY...Which I suggest!!!

I even make my own glass cleaner by either using white viniger/water mix(but I hate the smell). Or I may even use the Blue windshield washer fluid and Ammonia mix(in a spray bottle)...Works Great! I use it around the house too!

I know that many folks do many of the same cost cutting tricks; this isn't anything new!

There are no cost cutting on wax products. And this is where one should spend your money. There's nothing like a nice shine on a vehicle! The only cost cutting here is to buy on sale and use the one that works best for the way you do things and your specific climate. I like a procuct that goes on/off easily & puts down a nice shine! Don't we all?

Great write up. I am a part time detailer and the one thing I can say is BULK BULK BULK.

Meguiars Detailer series is excellent for exactly what you are saying. I use their rinseless wash for all my washes, hyperdressing (which can be diluted from high shine to satin. I have one bottle for high shine and a satin bottle for interior.) I use a microfiber damped by vinegar/water for all the glass and following up with a dry microfiber to dry. Everything else gets cleaned using Meguairs APC. Great for dash, vinyl, carpets, wheels and tires. Works excellent.

Regarding wax I could not agree more. Spend the money and invest in a good wax. My go to has always been Meguiars M26. Great shine and good protection. When I am doing a 1 step polish/wax I use Meguiars D151. Great cut and leaves a nice shine.

I love their detailer series because the prices are right and almost everything can be diluted making the price per bottle much more reasonable.

True...but I'm sure you'll hear from those who baby their cars...Once in a while I use special products..sometimes I don't.

Some stuff I use...

KROWN car wash.
Eagle 1 Wax-As-U-Dry (Great stuff) and an Absorber to dry.
Invisible Glass glass cleaner (tint friendly)
California car duster (for dashboards) because I refuse to use anything that shines up my interior, I like "clean" only, no lustres. Same with my tires, no tire dress, just scrub with my wash mit which I use for rims/tires only.
Nu Finish for polish. Have used it only twice now but I do like it.

I don't use any of those quick detailer type products either, I either wash fully or not at all. My normal routine is to wash with Krown car wash, use Wax-as-u-dry while drying, and call it a day.

Now if someone could come up with a way to remove horse manure from the lower half of the car. One of the side effects from living in Amish country. I really backs on if now removed immediately.

Bulk is a good idea, I am buying gallons of stuff now, like Griots speed shine, 1 gallon is 29 dollars, or 35oz for 14.99, same for ONR.

A friend of mine(elderly/widower) drives a little Toyota Yaras. He drives through the KISS Car Wash. And sometimes there is a special $5.00 hand wax, in which he also lets the young kids do that(small car only).

Between the carwash & vacuum, the hand wax and a small tip, it cost about $15 every now & again! And $20 for the 5 day guarantee, where you can run the car throught the "wash only" within 5 days if you show'em your PAID receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back