Cheap drive wheels on self propelled mower

So my neighbor put her Craftsman Self propelled mower at the curb for free. I saw it and asked if it ran. She said it ran great but seemed heavy and hard to push. I decided to take it.

Upon checking it not only were the front wheels lacking tread but one of the drive wheels wasn't turning when engaged. When I pulled it I found the plastic teeth worn off which is a common issue with many of these mowers. Steel gear, platic teeth.

I bought a couple wheels off Amazon and put them on and all is good.

Can't believe they use cheap plastic gear teeth.

20200617_081307.jpg

20200617_081624.jpg

20200617_081647.jpg

Last edited:
The intended result was achieved. She threw the mower away, to go out and buy another one.

Dang, ZZman, you got me started off on the negativity route first thing in the morning! I've replaced a few of those wheels for friends. Great job giving that mower more life. Now, go out and mow with it in front of the neighbor!

My Ariens has the ball bearing assembly that is very close to the drive wheels fail. Twice, I think each side once. I also found one of the drive wheels had several of the balls from a failed ball bearing stuck in the drive wheel where the gear engages.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
The intended result was achieved. She threw the mower away, to go out and buy another one.

Dang, ZZman, you got me started off on the negativity route first thing in the morning! I've replaced a few of those wheels for friends. Great job giving that mower more life. Now, go out and mow with it in front of the neighbor!

This.

I'm sure the mower is probably at least 8 years old, and things are built to a price point. Considering the tread is worn off the tires, and wheels are like $40, I don't really see the issue. The mowers with metal gears wear out if not greased, and being a metal gear the wheel costs a lot more.

Are people always holding down the drive handle keeping the wheels always engaged while mowing? I've never had the teeth wear out on my mowers or families mower. I always release the drive handle when changing direction. I've had the "tire tread" wear bald before but the gear teeth were still intact.

Congrats on the free mower. It should be good for another 8 years. You can also use a plastic compatible grease to help the new wheels last longer.

FWD is simple. Lift front end to turn, set back down, continue on your way. No need to let up on the lever.

RWD is a different critter.

Last edited:
Did it twice with my Honda.

Not the teeth but the tread was smooth like s drag slick.

New wheels from Home Depot cost +/- $20.00

Kept the wheels just because, but they ended up on my neighbor's Honda and she's happy she could get another year out of her mower.

She asked how much?

I told her free and the next thing a case of Corona beer on my front porch.

TOMB

Front or rear wheel drive.

I have front wheel drive and tip the mower and turn it 180 degrees with wheels up. After the turn around I just put the front wheels on the ground. Never release the drive lever.

When the drive tires wore thin on my 18 year old JD I started wrapping them with 3-4 turns of duct tape. Lasts quite awhile and the traction is great. Ran it that way for 10 years with worn out tires just wrapping the tires 3 times a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Front or rear wheel drive.

I have front wheel drive and tip the mower and turn it 180 degrees with wheels up. After the turn around I just put the front wheels on the ground. Never release the drive lever.

Front

Common to Craftsman. It may not end there. Grab the small steel mating gear, try moving the mechanism sideways and up down. If there's a lot of play, the bushing bearing is bad too. It's part of the wheel height adjuster assy.. You will be wasting your money if you buy just new wheels and have a sloppy steel gear moving around sideways. The nylon gear teeth will get chewed up in short time when that steel drive gear isn't meshing properly with the wheel when it is sloppy..

Last edited:
Good for you getting that mower going again.

I've never had a self propelled mower but I've been thinking of getting one. I currently have my eye on the Honda products. (The Honda engine on my Craftsman push type has been really good).

Any thoughts on front drive vs rear drive? Does Honda come with metal gear teeth?

I prefer the cheap, light weight push-it-yourself type. I can practically lean forward and it moves, so I don't see what the big deal is about pushing a mower unless you overspend on some 80lb monstrosity with more to break, like a drivetrain.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener
Common to Craftsman. It may not end there. Grab the small steel mating gear, try moving the mechanism sideways and up down. If there's a lot of play, the bushing bearing is bad too. It's part of the wheel height adjuster assy.. You will be wasting your money if you buy just new wheels and have a sloppy steel gear moving around sideways. The nylon gear teeth will get chewed up in short time when that steel drive gear isn't meshing properly with the wheel when it is sloppy..

Yeah, I have one side that wore the teeth out and feels sloppy. Found this on YT.

https://youtu.be/QiT8mlHceWA

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by Lubener

Yeah, I have one side that wore the teeth out and feels sloppy. Found this on YT.

https://youtu.be/QiT8mlHceWA

I would bet they would sell much fewer wheels if that bearing had a grease fitting. It's that bearing play that strips the wheel out more frequently not the steel gear meshing with the nylon teeth. I was replacing those bearings over ten years ago on my mid 90's "green" mower. It seems every Craftsman mower I have owned had those bearings wear out. Lubing them every spring does help make them last longer.

Last edited:
Back