Cheap code readers

Saw a code reader on Amazon for $35 that gives live readings and has a decent rating. I have zero interest in paying a lot for a nice code reader, is this the best one I can get for under $50? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I/ref=amg?ie=UTF8&m=&psc=1

In case the link does not work it is the :
ANCEL AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner Car Engine Fault Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool-Black

For a few dollars more, I'd get the Autel AP200. Does all system codes and about $60 if you have prime. About $22 if you want to add an extra vehicle make which is still a decent deal. The Autel Diaglink was $88 and only $10 per additional vehicle make.

Otherwise if you just want a basic engine and emissions only code reader, the BAFX one at $22 is a pretty decent deal.

Reactions: JC1
I have this one. If you use the suggested phone app it will list possible causes and fixes for listed error codes.

There is the Veepeak Bluetoooth unit for about $13.00 that works extremely well with the Torque Pro app. I know a couple of people who have the combination and they can monitor just about anything they want or could ever dream of doing, and one guy even wrote a PID that allows him to control the electronic cooling fan in his TrailBlazer.

My next order from Amazon is going to include at least one of these!

Last edited:
For $35 dollars the Ancel is a good value for a hand held unit that can read/erase codes, show freeze frame info, and live data. You can always spend more money for more advanced units with more features like ABS codes, TPMS, SAS, etc but the average person probably won't use those features.

Foxwell NT201 is a bit nicer scanner in that same price range.

I need something that reads transmission temperature so I can service our GS, as well as other Toyletta porducts.
I have a bluetooth module and an app; haven't tried it in a while. Pretty happy with it so far.

For a few dollars more, I'd get the Autel AP200. Does all system codes and about $60 if you have prime. About $22 if you want to add an extra vehicle make which is still a decent deal. The Autel Diaglink was $88 and only $10 per additional vehicle make.

Otherwise if you just want a basic engine and emissions only code reader, the BAFX one at $22 is a pretty decent deal.

The Hyper Tech(HT200) version of that Autel AP200 tool from Walmart is even cheaper. Same exact tool/features.

As for the ancel tool in the OP, a $5 dongle(price may have risen a few bucks recently) paired with your smart phone will do everything that will(codes and generic data).

Back