Changing Spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I am a bit tight on cash right now but need to change the spark plugs on my wife's car. Being tight on cash, should I change the wires too? Or should I save 50 bucks now and change them some time in the future?

If you have no ignition or misfire related problem, change them later. If you are that tight on cash and have to change them because you have problems, buy aftermarket wires for now and see if it works out, and change to OEM wires later if you have problems.

If you break them you will. Sometimes the boots fuse to the plugs. If they don't pop right off, twist them like crazy to break the seal.

I assume you have a backup ride to the parts store if you need wires.

I had a 1994 Camry with the 6" boots that went into spark plug wells in the valve cover. When I tried to pull off the spark plug wires, some of the boots left a piece of the boot still stuck to the spark plug. And you cannot get your fingers or much else down the spark plug wells. But with the piece stuck you could not remove the spark plug either. I used a long screw driver to rip apart the stuck piece and blew it out with compressed air.

But the spark plug wires had to be replaced.

If you are right on cash I would take the plugs out, check to see if they are clean and just give them a quick clean and regap (if needed) them for now. Save up and buy some nice iridium plugs and OEM wires.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
If you are right on cash I would take the plugs out, check to see if they are clean and just give them a quick clean and regap (if needed) them for now. Save up and buy some nice iridium plugs and OEM wires.

tight not right on cash :p

One other thing not asked: are they the original plugs and wires? If yes, I would wait on wires until you have the spare cash or a problem pops up. If you have replaced the wires in the past, then they should be fine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
IME the wires are almost always damaged when the plugs are changed, be cautious...

Same here, the chances are good something will break or get damaged and it might not be visible.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
One other thing not asked: are they the original plugs and wires? If yes, I would wait on wires until you have the spare cash or a problem pops up. If you have replaced the wires in the past, then they should be fine.

Yeah, they're the original plugs and wires.

if you're that tight up on money, and car is working fine, don't change ANYTHING until you have the $ to afford possible complications.

As noted above, possibly other stuff breaks during the change too.

Last edited:
++ for raytseng.
I've been caught up in the "fixing" caused more troubles. (i.e. replacing a window wiper transmission, when it was much easier/cheaper/faster to pull one from a junkyard) Now my wife bases all car repairs that I do based off this one hiccup, but I keep telling her it's a big learning experience. I wish I read the "things I've learned from wrenching" thread a long time ago, but I digress..

Anecdotal evidence. When you do plan on replacing them.

I'd buy ngk regular platinum plugs, and wires as backup. Try to not destroy the boots/wires, install the plugs, and reinstall the wires. Return the wires if you don't need them.

I (my wife's car, she obtained it before we dated) have the same car with 175K miles. The original wires were replaced at around 140k, and the plugs the first time @ around 115K. I noticed more of a difference changing the plugs than changing the wires, but that doesn't mean yours is the same case.

It is really accessible; the easiest car I've every done them on. There is plenty of room to grab the boot and wiggle and pull. I stuck with the regular platinums, I believe the OEM plugs are platinums, but not sure if they are the double platinums.

I've used the ngk regular platinum's (BKR5EGP) every time and they seem to work well with this car. I've been changing them at about every 30-35k, which may be overkill. Regular plugs would probably work as well, but you'll have to keep an eye on the gap more often. For cars that are a little more difficult to access or more powerful, I would opt for the more fancy spark plugs and replace them less often.

++ for the dielectric grease, but I've never put antiseize on the ngk plugs. I did torque them with a torque wrench, but I don't know the torque values off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Also, I don't advise this as well either, but the original timing belt/idlers was done at 122k, well over the recommended 60k. I might stretch this one to 185-190k.

I would just save up until you have the extra cash to do the job right. Save up and then go to Rock Auto and pick up some good plugs and wires, then change them at the same time.

Do you know if your valve cover gasket developed a leak? That can prematurely end the life of spark plug wires, plus you would need to replace the gasket at the same time. This happens often to 4V engine heads.

Said it before, I'll say it again:

*check resistance
*check spec
*check condition

If you don't find any problems, stick them back in, unless this is solely preventive maintenance.

I just did a Mitsuchrysler with the wrapover manifold. I didn't even bother checking them. When you have to do THAT much to get at plug wires, just change them.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back