Changing oil filter on a Mazda6i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed my mazda parts guy about the MZ6 -> MZ3 conversion, here are the parts, prices, and his comments.

L301-14-310-----------------$31.92 plus shipping.
LF01-14-342-----------------$4.97
LF10-14-302-----------------$6.25
I have been told by Mazda that this is not advisable because they used a different oil pump/pressure...

he has no reason to lie to me, has anyone else heard similar?

I don't dislike the cartridge setup on my Mazda3 enough to spend the money on a conversion kit, and I don't want to change much of anything that has any effect on the engine or tranny in any way while under warranty, but I would rather have a spin-on.

I just give the drain plug a good pull on a short L shaped hex key, then another good pull on the filter housing with a Lisle band wrench that I flattened the spikes on, and covered with hockey stick tape (sticky fabric tape). You could also get the filter wrench for it:

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2236

DennisB & others,

I've done the spin-on filter conversion for my Mazda3 2.3L. The conversion is very easy. I think it took me like 15 minutes to perform. I've seen/had no negative affects with this modification. What I like is that I can use whatever brand of oil filter that fits the 2.0L since the filter mount comes from that engine. Plus, generally the filters are cheaper in price.

If you look at the link below, you'll see there is now a spin-on conversion kit that comes with the filter mount & gasket for about $32. They also offer one that comes with mount, gasket, and oem filter for about $38.

Spin-On Conversion Kit

I would highly suggest doing this if you want to make your oil change easier!!!

By the way, I did keep the old parts in case I ever needed/wanted to go back to the cartridge setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back