Changing my coolant next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,,, Next week I will change my girl friends coolant on a 05 cavalier. I will replace with Dexcool when I do this. The current coolant is the original from the factory and now has 140K on the odometer and the coolant looks really clean inside the expansion tank. Just by looking at the system and how the hoses are arranged I doubt I can get all the coolant out of the system. I found the little drain valve on the Rad, so I can at least can get it drained. I have no idea where the plug for the block is, I have looked but it is such a cramped engine bay it is difficult to even see the block and I gave up on finding the thermostat as well.

So with that in mind,, will I be wasting my time by replacing what I can in the system and leaving some of the old to contaminate the new fluid.

My other option for a full replacement would be to take the car to a shop. My Honda Civic is a much easier car to replace coolant on.

There shouldn't be a problem draining/refilling the radiator. That's all that many cars service schedules require. On most cars you're draining about half of the coolant that way.

As long as you're adding enough coolant back to replenish some of the corrosion inhibitors/etc. you're doing more than many folks do.

You could drain the radiator, refill the radiator with distilled water.....run for a day of normal use....next morning do the same drain and fill with distilled water....repeat until you only get out clean water....make sure to have the heater open when you run the car for the drain and fills.

It took about 7 gallons of Distilled water to drain my entire system until the water was clear. When the water is clear and clean refill the system with 50% full strength coolant and keep some 50/50 mix on hand for any top offs and refilling the reservoir. Just take your time and make sure to only drain and refill in the morning when the system is cold.

Never open the radiator cap when the system is hot or still very warm!

Just a drain and fill is fine, all you're really doing is refreshing the additives. You definitely will not be wasting your time.

And as LC4RN8 said, a lot of cars only specify a drain and fill.

No worries as long as everything looks clean, a drain and fill is fine.If the coolant is dirty your going to have to flush it.The old fluid is not contaminated just slightly depleted. Here's a quote from Havoline "The life of a coolant in an automobile engine is limited by the corrosion protection ability of the
corrosion inhibitors. The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline DEX-COOL® Extended Life
Anti-Freeze/Coolant has been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after
150,000 miles in automobiles. This allows much longer intervals between coolant changes without
worrying about loss of corrosion protection. Used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
DEX-COOL® was tested in laboratory controlled corrosion tests for new coolants after it had
already been in service for more than 200,000 miles. The used Havoline Extended Life Anti-
Freeze/ Coolant DEX-COOL® passed the ASTM D 1384 requirements for glassware corrosion
with results equivalent to new coolants and also passed the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Hot Surface
Test for new coolant. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® represents
the next generation of universal engine coolants. This coolant is suitable for a five year or 150,000
mile service life in automotive application."

I read some articles about dexcool, it stated that it was developed as a life time coolant, but GM didn't want to bite the bullet so the 5year/150000 mile limit was put in place.

It gets very acidic which will clean the materials it comes in contact with giving an illusion of a clean system. Flush the system until all the old is out.

All I do are drain/fills. With ATF and with coolant. The first time I do it, I do it a few times, but after that, drain/fill is it. To me it makes more sense than flushing less frequently.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You could drain the radiator, refill the radiator with distilled water.....run for a day of normal use....next morning do the same drain and fill with distilled water....repeat until you only get out clean water....make sure to have the heater open when you run the car for the drain and fills.
yep, that's actually what I did with my car too....I heard some people do some crazy stuff........adding lemonaide Kool-Aid to the water, something about the Ascorbic Acid in the Kool Aid will break down the dirt....lol. Others mentioned running White Distilled Vinegar (which is really only 5% acidic or something....rest water...). Heard another suggestion of using one of those over the counter Prestone Flush bottles with the distilled water, to and from work a couple days, then drain (on a day or something) and refill with Water for a couple days, to then get the Prestone "flush" out....and then finally "rinse" with distilled water for a couple days.

Definitely a summer/spring task....where you won't be risking freezing temperatures
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: glum
All I do are drain/fills. With ATF and with coolant. The first time I do it, I do it a few times, but after that, drain/fill is it. To me it makes more sense than flushing less frequently.

+1.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back