changing ATF at tranny shop

So I am thinking of having the fluid and filter changed at a local shop that specilizes in automatic trans. I think he does most of the transmission work in the county. My question is the fluid he uses. I had him change the fluid/filter on my 2005 mustang v6, and he used some "universal" fluid from a bulk tank. I never had a problem, but I also sold the car only a few months later. Now I am wanting to have my 98 mustang v6 done. I know it is suppose to have mercon v fluid, and he will probably use the same fluid as before. Assuming that what he uses is something like Valvoline max life, is that ok??? Or should I take my own fluid, or try a different shop???

So I am thinking of having the fluid and filter changed at a local shop that specilizes in automatic trans. I think he does most of the transmission work in the county. My question is the fluid he uses. I had him change the fluid/filter on my 2005 mustang v6, and he used some "universal" fluid from a bulk tank. I never had a problem, but I also sold the car only a few months later. Now I am wanting to have my 98 mustang v6 done. I know it is suppose to have mercon v fluid, and he will probably use the same fluid as before. Assuming that what he uses is something like Valvoline max life, is that ok??? Or should I take my own fluid, or try a different shop???
I'm sure that if you bring the properly specc fluid for the car to him in the right amount, as a reputable transmission shop he would use it in your mustang. That'd be the route that I go although you will probably never see a problem with the fluid they use.

I’d ask before you bring it. Most shops claim they can’t use the things you provide because of liability reasons which is completely false so if he says that I’d find a different place. I don’t trust universal or bulk fluid especially since the first place I worked at....

I agree with AutoMechanic, call ahead and see what they use for your car... I would think they would have a more than one "universal" fluid. If now, ask if they mind if you provide your own fluid, they probably wont, but will put on the bill "customer supplied fluid" just to CYA themselves.

I'm sure that if you bring the properly specc fluid for the car to him in the right amount, as a reputable transmission shop he would use it in your mustang. That'd be the route that I go although you will probably never see a problem with the fluid they use.
Of course there is the thing that I just thought of. This car is 23 years old, and has probably had the fluid changed before, and since I just bought the car, I really have no idea what is in it now. So I guess unless I were to have it all flushed out, It probably doesn't really matter does it?

Took my 03 F-150 65,000 miles to transmission shop for ATF change. Never changed. They looked at fluid and told me that the color was fine and refused the work. Can't fix stupid. It worked out for the better. I dropped the pan and changed the filter, putting on a new ATF cover with drain plug.

I’d ask before you bring it. Most shops claim they can’t use the things you provide because of liability reasons which is completely false so if he says that I’d find a different place. I don’t trust universal or bulk fluid especially since the first place I worked at....
My guess is that some commercial liability insurance policies sold for these kind of shops may have a clause in the insurance policy that excludes coverage for damage resulting from customer supplied parts or fluids.

My guess is that some commercial liability insurance policies sold for these kind of shops may have a clause in the insurance policy that excludes coverage for damage resulting from customer supplied parts or fluids.
Maybe for some of the bigger ones. At my independent shop we use parts if the customers provide them. I don’t believe it says anything in the our insurance about it.

Tell him to use Mercon V, or walk away. Mercon is a good brand and is exactly what the trans needs.
Isn't mercon a type, and not a brand? But, I really have no idea if that is in it now. Of course, this is a VERY reputable shop, that has been in business with the same owner for many years, so I guess he must know what is needed .

Of course there is the thing that I just thought of. This car is 23 years old, and has probably had the fluid changed before, and since I just bought the car, I really have no idea what is in it now. So I guess unless I were to have it all flushed out, It probably doesn't really matter does it?
I would go drain and fill when you do not know history so at least you can find out what condition the fluid is in instead of running all out it out off the bat. If some type F adjustments are in your future a drain and fill is much easier to start from.

Back